Mar 21, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:55 pm: It is official, Ronny Turiaf is a member of the Miami Heat. Let the sideline cheering begin.
The Heat had made runs at bigger name big men this season — Kenyon Martin when he returned from China, Joel Przybilla, others — but this gives them a little more depth up front. He will play behind Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem in the rotation, but he can give them some good defense and hustle for 15 minutes a night.
Turiaf was drafted out of Gonzaga by the Los Angeles Lakers but had to miss his rookie season due to surgery to repair an enlarged heart. He played a couple seasons in Los Angeles followed by stints with the Warriors, Knicks and this season the Wizards.
2:53 pm: Looks like the Heat are going to be adding a little depth to the front line. And a good bench cheering section.
Agent Mark Bartelstein confirms to Sun Sentinel the Heat are close to signing Ronny Turiaf. “We’re working toward that,” Bartelstein said.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo also reports the sides are close.
This would be a nice pickup — not something that puts them over the top, but provides some needed depth along the front line of a team that had to start Dexter Pittman Tuesday night. Turiaf will bring energy, he only shoots pretty high efficiency shots, he defends hard, he rebounds, you can get a good 15 minutes out of him a night. The guys in the locker room and the fans will like him. He’s solid.
Turaif had been with the Wizards but was traded to Denver as part of the Nene/JaVale McGee swap. The Nuggets promptly bought Turiaf out.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 10
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 22
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 48
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65