Mar 21, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
Derek Fisher has options, but it looks like he is choosing the one that could most haunt the Lakers — the team he will forever be most associated with.
Fisher should clear waivers at 6 p.m. (Eastern) today and he is in Oklahoma City this afternoon to finalize a contract with the Thunder, according to NBA.com.
This is probably the best fit for Fisher. First off, since Eric Maynor went down with a season-ending injury the Thunder have been in need of a backup point guard. But be warned OKC fans — Fisher is not much of a player any more. He is shooting 38.3 percent this season (and hasn’t shot over 40 percent for three seasons), he has a PER of 8.9 (and hasn’t had one over 10 in three seasons), plus is defense is atrocious.
What he brings is an unwavering confidence and an understanding of what it takes to win in the playoffs. No matter how he is playing, Derek Fisher doesn’t shrink from the big moments at the end of games. He doesn’t get tight. There is a reason Kobe Bryant trusted him to take the big shots — Fisher’s self–confidence cannot be shaken.
The Thunder are 7-5 since the All-Star break and have looked vulnerable. This is a team that needs to be reminded of how to win in the playoffs and Fisher’s level-headed demeanor, professionalism and confidence will play well in the locker room. He knows what to say and when to say it, and when you flash five rings, guys listen.
It’s a good signing for the Thunder, who have the talent to be competitors but could use the veteran presence in the locker room.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21