Mar 21, 2012, 11:44 AM EST
Derek Fisher has options, but it looks like he is choosing the one that could most haunt the Lakers — the team he will forever be most associated with.
Fisher should clear waivers at 6 p.m. (Eastern) today and he is in Oklahoma City this afternoon to finalize a contract with the Thunder, according to NBA.com.
This is probably the best fit for Fisher. First off, since Eric Maynor went down with a season-ending injury the Thunder have been in need of a backup point guard. But be warned OKC fans — Fisher is not much of a player any more. He is shooting 38.3 percent this season (and hasn’t shot over 40 percent for three seasons), he has a PER of 8.9 (and hasn’t had one over 10 in three seasons), plus is defense is atrocious.
What he brings is an unwavering confidence and an understanding of what it takes to win in the playoffs. No matter how he is playing, Derek Fisher doesn’t shrink from the big moments at the end of games. He doesn’t get tight. There is a reason Kobe Bryant trusted him to take the big shots — Fisher’s self–confidence cannot be shaken.
The Thunder are 7-5 since the All-Star break and have looked vulnerable. This is a team that needs to be reminded of how to win in the playoffs and Fisher’s level-headed demeanor, professionalism and confidence will play well in the locker room. He knows what to say and when to say it, and when you flash five rings, guys listen.
It’s a good signing for the Thunder, who have the talent to be competitors but could use the veteran presence in the locker room.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13