Pacers’ Jeff Foster announces retirement due to back issues

Mar 21, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Indiana Pacers - Game Four Getty Images

Jeff Foster had a good NBA career.

He played 13 solid seasons, all for the Indiana Pacers, most as a backup center. In a hoops world that can become obsessed by rings and All-Star Games, there are a lot of other ways to judge a career. For most guys it is about other things. It’s about the game. It’s about making good money and setting up your family while doing something fun. Jeff Foster did that. He played hard and that made him a fan favorite. There are a whole lot of guys who would love to have the career Foster had.

But sidelined by back pain, Foster said is stepping away from the game and retiring now, something first reported by Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star.

“It’s with deep regret that I have to conclude my basketball career,” Foster said in a released statement. “I’ve given my all to the Pacers and the community the last 13 years. I had hoped to be able to finish the season, but unfortunately my back problems prevented that from occurring. I want to thank the Simon family and the Pacers’ organization for 13 memorable years.”

Foster had played in just 11 games this season, a disappointment after he considered retirement but tried to give it one more go this season.

But Foster meant a lot to the Pacers and their fans. He made a nice little $50 million over the course of his career — and he managed his money well. He is set, his children are set.

We wish Foster the best in whatever he chooses to do next

1. lmoneyfresh - Mar 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Dammit if that’s not about the best picture available for this article.

2. gmsalpha - Mar 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM

If he managed his money well, he’s one of the few that did. Amazing that that’s the exception to the rule, it would seem.

He always reminded me of Freddie Mercury from Queen with the overbite, but 13 years is a long time for anyone, especially with one team. Not a bad career at all, really.

• genericcommenter - Mar 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

There was an article here not that long ago that went into how he managed his money- lived on a fraction of his income, drove a relatively frugal car,etc. It was probably a featured off-site article that was linked here. At least I think it was linked here. This is the only basketball blog I read, though I do read a couple general sports and finance ones.

3. goforthanddie - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Apparently he has a future as a financial consultant to lots of idiot NBA types who can’t handle 8-digit bankrolls.

4. glink123 - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I absolutely agree with everything in this article, KH. As an avid Bulls fan, I hated this guy because I knew he was going to give 110 percent effort, every minute he was in the game. America loves the over-achieving underdog. It amazes me how one dude can turn $50 million into a financial nest egg that provides for 4 generations, and yet another dude can blow through $100 million in less than a decade. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Foster as a head coach in the Association some day.

5. comeonnowguys - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Wow, No McRoberts and now no Foster? Stanley Spadowski will have to hack a bunch more in the playoffs to make up for the loss.

6. 00maltliquor - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It’s incredibly amazing that a player -not even a star player- played an entire 13 year NBA career with ONE team! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Some of that is credit to the player, but most of that is because the team didn’t trade him/ put him in a trade as contract filler to make a trade work. Major props to both sides. Happy trails, Jeff.

7. xli2006 - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

A fan favorite but his end was imminent over the last few years.

With West, Hibbert, Hansbrough, and Amundson the Pacers rotation in the post was set.

He will likely join the Front Office or work with the team in some way.

8. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Best wishes to Jeff. Class act and a great bridge from the end of the Reggie era.

9. stillbleedingblue - Mar 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Great guy…Pacer for life.

10. charliegirl1 - Mar 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

He was an offensive rebound machine. Pacers were smart to hang on to him as long as they did, a real team player.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures