Mar 21, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Here is the statement, via Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
“I am extremely honored to announce that I will join the Oklahoma City Thunder in pursuit of the 2011-2012 Championship. What these players, coaches and front office have created is special. My representatives and I had conversations and offers from several teams, however, this just feels right and this is a choice I am confident in.
I will earn my spot on this team and do whatever my teammates need me to do to get us to a championship. I will also lead to the best of my ability whether from the bench, in the locker room or on the court.
Thank you to my fans, friends and family that have reached out. While I am surprised by recent events, I look forward to contributing to the Thunder and continuing to play the game I love so much and have fought so hard to bring back.
To Kobe, Pau, Andrew, Matt, Steve, Devin, Darius, Josh, Drew, Troy, Metta, Luke, and Jason, and all my teammates in Los Angeles through the years, thank you for your friendship, for the camaraderie, for pushing me each and every day to achieve greatness and letting me lead you the best way I knew how. You each have a lifelong friend and supporter in me.
Los Angeles will always have a place in my heart, it will remain a home to my family and my businesses, but basketball will be played elsewhere and I look forward to seeing everyone on the court … even if it is in a different uniform.”
If you remember Fisher’s missives during the lockout, you remember that he was very good at getting his message through between the lines. If you read this, do you notice any mention of Lakers ownership or management? Exactly.
Fisher returns to Staples Center to take on the Lakers (with his new Thunder teammates) on March 29. You can bet Lakers fans will warmly embrace him.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20