Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
But he is out — or will be Wednesday when he clears waivers — and is talking about how he wants a ring. Well, another ring as he has five already. And what he brings to a team is that championship swagger. He certainly doesn’t bring much on the court anymore, but he brings something to a locker room.
Which is why this report from Marc Stein of ESPN making the Heat and Thunder the frontrunners for his services makes sense.
The Heat explored the possibility of signing Fisher when he was a free agent in the summer of 2010 and have strong interest again now, sources say, even if they are successful in signing veteran forward Ronny Turiaf this week.…
Oklahoma City, meanwhile, is still trying to fill the void created by Eric Maynor‘s season-ending knee injury and, according to sources with knowledge of the Thunder’s thinking, is intrigued by the prospect of adding Fisher’s championship know-how to a group that’s leading the Western Conference but still young.
There are not a lot of minutes to be had in Miami, however. Mario Chalmers starts and rookie Norris Cole has played well — you may be concerned about a rookie in the playoffs, but he has played better this season than Fisher.
The Thunder have minutes to give out. Not a lot, because Westbrook plays the bulk, but there are some. What would be odd there is if the Lakers and Thunder met in the playoffs. That would be awkward for the Lakers, or at least their fans. Still, OKC may make more sense in terms of what he can bring and how he fits in.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 27
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15