Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
But he is out — or will be Wednesday when he clears waivers — and is talking about how he wants a ring. Well, another ring as he has five already. And what he brings to a team is that championship swagger. He certainly doesn’t bring much on the court anymore, but he brings something to a locker room.
Which is why this report from Marc Stein of ESPN making the Heat and Thunder the frontrunners for his services makes sense.
The Heat explored the possibility of signing Fisher when he was a free agent in the summer of 2010 and have strong interest again now, sources say, even if they are successful in signing veteran forward Ronny Turiaf this week.…
Oklahoma City, meanwhile, is still trying to fill the void created by Eric Maynor‘s season-ending knee injury and, according to sources with knowledge of the Thunder’s thinking, is intrigued by the prospect of adding Fisher’s championship know-how to a group that’s leading the Western Conference but still young.
There are not a lot of minutes to be had in Miami, however. Mario Chalmers starts and rookie Norris Cole has played well — you may be concerned about a rookie in the playoffs, but he has played better this season than Fisher.
The Thunder have minutes to give out. Not a lot, because Westbrook plays the bulk, but there are some. What would be odd there is if the Lakers and Thunder met in the playoffs. That would be awkward for the Lakers, or at least their fans. Still, OKC may make more sense in terms of what he can bring and how he fits in.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 13
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 6
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)