No extension for Stan Van Gundy could make things awkward in Orlando

Mar 20, 2012, 8:39 PM EST

Dwight Howard Stan Van Gundy Getty Images

Time to talk about the contract extension in Orlando… no, not that one. We’ll all be forced to be back on Dwight Howard watch this summer, we can give it a rest until then.

But during the whole Howard saga there was that report that the Magic told Howard if he signed an extension he could have say on who would be the coach and GM. Something everybody denied. Even though we know Van Gundy’s in your face, more negative style grates on Howard who likes it light and positive.

Well, thing is Stan Van Gundy’s contract is up at the same time as Howard’s the summer of 2013. Which makes the whole extension with Howard and Van Gundy a little awkward. A column by Brian Schmitz at the Orlando Sentinel covered this (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie).

If it would make Howard happier to have a new coach — happy enough to sign an extension — how do the Magic fire Stan without making Dwight look like the bad guy who orchestrated his exit?…

CEO Alex Martins might have to take the hit, a move made easier if the team doesn’t have playoff success this season. But if the Magic reach the East Finals, how do they justify pushing out Van Gundy?

The Magic and Van Gundy already have had some discussions. I say something has to give this offseason.

There is a book out there on how to beat the Magic, and likely first round opponent Atlanta has it — single cover Dwight Howard (with Jason Collins in this case) and stay home on the shooters. It worked in the playoffs last year, it could again this year. And with two first round playoff exits you could make the case it is time for a change.

But it is still going to look like Howard pulled the lever on that move. Fair or not.

Plus, bring in a new coach and you’re going to need new personnel to fit the system. (Well, you may anyway, this roster as is doesn’t beat the Bulls or Heat in seven games, but not as big a shift.) New coach should mean a mini-rebuild, which might not keep Howard.

The Magic need to extend Van Gundy this summer. They need to not just put the entire franchise in flux. They are not going to find a better coach. Lock the man up.

1. smiz17 - Mar 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM

As a Magic fan…I don’t know where I really stand on this. There are days I like SVG and then there are days where I feel like he is the dumbest coach in the NBA. I think more often than not SVG gets a bad rap…not totally his fault Otis has made some bone head decisions in the front office.

Until the season is over, I am not sure who the Magic could pick up who is better? I sure as hell know one thing…it better not be Patrick Ewing (I know he has been sitting on that Magic bench waiting for a shot at a HC position). On a funny note, I’d really like to see Jeff Van Gundy coach the Magic…homeboy talks a lot of trash about the Magic and acts like he would coach them better than his brother…

Who knows….maybe Otis will hit up Billy ‘I’ve Changed My Mind’ Donovan…puke…

2. losangelasbasketball - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Jeff sealed his fate when he was dragged tothe ground by alonzo mourning and larry johnson… Lol

3. captainwisdom8888 - Mar 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Dwiiiiiight!!!! Dwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!

4. wsuperman444 - Mar 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I say fire SVG or just dont renew his contract. then Hire Phil Jackson as a Consultant for the team ( not Coach as he would just refuse it anyway.. hire a Coach based on Phil’s suggestion and go from there also fire Otis and replace him. while these moves would not get us to the finals this season at least it sets us up for next season and with these moves and a move for a decent Point Guard have Dwight commit for the extenstion.. it appears that the team has checked out on SVG and are really not lisening to him now my bet is they are forcing him to get fired or.. resign.. as evidenced by the poor play lately… they are pulling a carmelo/Jazz move in order to get SVG and or Otis gone..

5. thekingdave - Mar 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Jeff sealed his fate expect for that part where he coached the Rockets for 5 seasons.

6. hoopsinla - Mar 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Orlando should bring in Tony Ronzone into the front office….

7. glink123 - Mar 21, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Stan Van Jeremy rules.

8. bearsstillsuck - Mar 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I hear there’s a job opening at ny

9. raidmagic - Mar 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I like Stan and I agree there isn’t a better coach available. They really just need somone who can score the ball one on one. Even though the defense would suffer I’d like to see Von Wafer play more if nothing else just because he can get to the basket.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches