Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
The New York Knicks are 3-0 under new coach Mike Woodson. There haven’t been a lot of new offensive sets — they still run a lot of Jeremy Lin pick-and-rolls with Tyson Chandler, although Carmelo Anthony gets a few more isolations. The defense has improved.
What has been the difference? Carmelo Anthony is trying.
Credit it to Woodson holding ‘Melo accountable or whatever else you want, Anthony said he’s giving a better effort. Here is the quote, via Newsday.
“I think in the last three games, my focus was to have an energy that I haven’t had so far this season, especially on the defensive end,” he said. “Everybody on this team knows, everybody in the world knows I can score the basketball. It’s not that important to me.”
He will spin it another way, but is there another way to read that other than “I’m trying harder.” Coaching changes will bring a new energy to a team, but if you are the star of a team, the leader, it shouldn’t change the effort level.
Mike D’Antoni is more of a players’ coach — he’s not a screamer, he expects players to act like professionals. That worked great with a Steve Nash led locker room — he’s about as self motivated a guy as there is in the league.
That strategy did not work with the Knicks. Woodson, he gets in guys faces. Anthony said he welcomes that.
“When he got the job, I told him, ‘Hold me accountable,’ ” Anthony said of Woodson. “I don’t have a problem with criticism. If I can do something to help better this team, let me know. And he’s been doing that.”
The Knicks are primed for a push — and they need it. They are currently the eight seed in the East, half a game ahead of the Bucks. Just half a game from falling out of the playoffs altogether. They are three games back of Boston (the seven seed) and four back of division leading Philadelphia. Winning the Atlantic Division means avoiding the Heat or the Bulls in the first round, so it matters.
The Knicks have a run of eight games between now and the end of March. It starts off pretty easy (two against Toronto this week, one Tuesday night, plus the Pistons on Saturday). But there are key games ahead — Wednesday against Philadelphia, then next week against Milwaukee, Orlando and Atlanta. Those are the big tests to see if Woodson’s Knicks have taken a step forward or not.
But at least now the effort is there on both ends.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47