Mar 19, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Lamar Odom is not a player that does a great job compartmentalizing his personal life from basketball. What happens off the court impacts him on it.
With a host of personal issues — a car he was riding in last summer hitting and killing a boy in New York, a health scare with his father, being traded — it has been a tough year for Odom.
And it has showed on the court — he is having a career low in points per game, shooting percentage, pretty much everything which has led to a PER 9.5 that is more what you expect to see in a D-League call up, not a Sixth Man of the Year.
Odom is confused that led to him asking for a buyout, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo.
His commitment also has been questioned: Odom sought a buyout from the Mavericks last month, but was rebuffed by owner Mark Cuban and general manager Donnie Nelson, a league source said.
Dallas has backed Odom because, well, what choice do it really have? They got him to provide some of the depth they had to let go for cap space reasons. If the Mavericks are going to make any kind of serious playoff run they are going to need Odom, who has shown flashes of his old self lately. But he’s still got a long way to go, he’s not the dangerous, versatile player the Lakers could count on in heat of the playoffs.
Meanwhile, Odom sounds like a guy still trying to find his footing.
“I’m just trying to understand life, really,” Odom said. “You think somebody got it bad and then you turn on the news and read about somebody else’s situation, and they got it just as bad, if not worse, than you do. There is still a lot to smile about even with the trials and tribulations.
“I’m one of those dudes who feel like I go through it for a reason. The reason is to make me better.”
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11