Mar 19, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Lamar Odom is not a player that does a great job compartmentalizing his personal life from basketball. What happens off the court impacts him on it.
With a host of personal issues — a car he was riding in last summer hitting and killing a boy in New York, a health scare with his father, being traded — it has been a tough year for Odom.
And it has showed on the court — he is having a career low in points per game, shooting percentage, pretty much everything which has led to a PER 9.5 that is more what you expect to see in a D-League call up, not a Sixth Man of the Year.
Odom is confused that led to him asking for a buyout, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo.
His commitment also has been questioned: Odom sought a buyout from the Mavericks last month, but was rebuffed by owner Mark Cuban and general manager Donnie Nelson, a league source said.
Dallas has backed Odom because, well, what choice do it really have? They got him to provide some of the depth they had to let go for cap space reasons. If the Mavericks are going to make any kind of serious playoff run they are going to need Odom, who has shown flashes of his old self lately. But he’s still got a long way to go, he’s not the dangerous, versatile player the Lakers could count on in heat of the playoffs.
Meanwhile, Odom sounds like a guy still trying to find his footing.
“I’m just trying to understand life, really,” Odom said. “You think somebody got it bad and then you turn on the news and read about somebody else’s situation, and they got it just as bad, if not worse, than you do. There is still a lot to smile about even with the trials and tribulations.
“I’m one of those dudes who feel like I go through it for a reason. The reason is to make me better.”
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15