Mar 19, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
There is another summer of major renovations coming to Madison Square Garden — which means the NBA Draft is on the move again.
It’s returning to New Jersey and the Prudential Center. Even though the NBA isn’t.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker tweeted this Monday:
Thrilled 2 announce #Newark will host the #NBAdraft + Fanfest for 2nd year in a row @PruCenter June 28th!
This means David Stern will be booed, Adam Silver cheered and Anthony Davis will be the first to walk up to the podium in a building the NBA is ditching after the season. The league has not officially confirmed the draft news yet, we should add.
The Prudential Center has been home to the Nets the past two seasons as a stopover between the Meadowlands and Brooklyn, where they will play next season. Booker has talked about trying to get another team in the center after this season, but the building has not exactly drawn raves from NBA players this season. Plus, getting a team to move anywhere is hard unless you are a billionaire.
The draft itself should be interesting, however, with what is considered one of the deepest crop of players in years.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'