Mar 19, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
JJ Hickson has completed a buyout with the Kings, league source tells Y!
The 23-year old Hickson was drafted 19th overall by the Cavaliers in 2008 after his freshman year at North Carolina State. Hickson is a tremendous athlete, showed flashes of brilliance with Cleveland, and even started for the Cavaliers before the team traded for Antawn Jamison at the 2010 trade deadline, but never quite put it all together in Cleveland.
This off-season, the Cavaliers traded Hickson for Omri Casspi and a protected 1st-round pick, and Hickson proceeded to have an abysmal season for the Kings. He averaged just 4.7 points on 37% shooting for the Kings this season, and the Kings bought him out after finding no takers for him at the trade deadline.
Hickson is still very young and very athletic, so the chances that a team will take a flyer on him are decent, but Hickson clearly has a ways to go before becoming an effective NBA player.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31