Kevin Love, J.J. Barea have to be separated on bench

Mar 19, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves competes in the three-point contest during the NBA All-Star weekend in Orlando Reuters

Minnesota was a frustrated team Sunday — they were losing to the Kings, playing poorly and it outing like this that will have the Timberwolves on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

And that caused everything to bubble over — during a fourth quarter timeout Kevin Love and J.J. Barea had to be separated by teammates. It appears from the video that Barea says something, Love reacts to it and they are about to go at it when Luke Ridnour and Martell Webster step in and keep the two apart, settling things down.

We don’t know what was said, but after the game both men told Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune it is water under the bridge.

“Part of the game, competitors trying to win,” Barea said. “We’re frustrated that we’re losing, but it happens, every basketball team. We just got into it. It’s all right. He said something I didn’t like, I said it back and we’re all good. Nothing against him.”

“It’s nothing personal with J.J.,” Love said. “I think we’re both frustrated and we took it out on each other when we should have taken it out on the other team. That was both of our mistake, both of our bad.”

My guess is this is quickly put into the past. But it is something to watch now.

1. spellingcopfather - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Why does the bigger players like picking on JJ, SMH!!!

2. sellahh - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Barea probably asked Love how he could be that poor of a defender with all those physical attributes. At least Barea has an excuse of being a midget for not being able to stop anyone.

• sellahh - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Okay, so ever since now Love is a lockdown defender and JJ is right up there with LBJ and Tony Allen in defensive assignment… at least according to PBT readers. :-) Oh well, the quality of articles perfectly matches the intellect of ppl here.

3. myktuggle - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I could read Kevin’s lips. They were arguing about who was the better rapper. JJ was going with Biggie and Big Kev was going with Tupac. No shots were fired in the locker room.

4. cakemixa - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I’d be mad if I played on the sad-sack Wolves, too.

• redbullenergydrink - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

So you’d be mad playing a game that you probably love for millions of dollars? Well you’re pretty stupid then.

• qdog112 - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Only in America – suddenly wanting to win is a bad thing? You gripe about players playing just for the money and when someone shows they care about more than money … well, which is it? You’re the one with the problem.

5. Justin - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I think everyone on the Wolves is getting a little frustrated. Losing Rubio was obviously huge. Barea seems to be the exact opposite of Rubio as he is always looking to drive and do some circus layup or jack up some ugly 3. Rubio is content just setting his teammates up to score. Playoffs might be out of the question this year.

I did manage to find a video of their little “fight” if anyone missed it. http://wp.me/p1zWAl-Wv

• sellahh - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I don’t know how could anyone have missed it because its highlighted in Kurt’s post itself. Well, unless someone missed elementary school too.

• Justin - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

The video link was not there when I posted my comment. Kurt has since updated it and added the link.

6. letangusespertplus - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Did JJ flop during that too? With that stupid confused look on his face.

7. pacific123ocean - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think it is obvious now….regardless of statistics, Ricky Rubio is/was the MVP of the Timberwolves, not Kevin Love.

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:34 AM

guards grow on trees, but bigs with skills are rare. i love Rubios game, but K Love would be harder to replace.

8. ihavecomplaints - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Between this and stomping on Luis Scola’s face, I’m getting the impression that Kevin Love is a dick.

• losangelasbasketball - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

i blame the follicles…

9. max20characters - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I wonder who’d win that fight…

• 24thesho - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Well, J.J. is from Puerto Rico, so I’m giving him the edge.

10. Zach - Mar 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

It’s tough to lose a star like Rubio and continue winning. Even though the rest of the roster is pretty solid. They are just going to have to play through the year and hopefully not get too much on one another’s nerves. I don’t want to be a downer, but maybe next year they’ll make the playoffs. Losing Rubio really hurt.

11. 24thesho - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM

J.J. JUST WON A CHAMPIONSHIP just last year and was all up in that series. So, until Love gets a ring……., shhhhhh!

12. pastorstevelarson - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hey, I love it. They had a fight and they manned up and took responsibility after the game. I think that shows class and character! I think both of these guys are awesome competitors. Kevin Love gets more out of his natural talents than anyone in the league. J.J.? Well he’s the guy you want to have on your team and you hate to play against him.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches