Mar 19, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
Derek Fisher has gone through the waiver process — no team was going to absorb his full $3.4 million salary — and now has agreed to a buyout of his contract with the Houston Rockets. The Rockets got him in a trade deadline deal for Jordan Hill and a pick but Fisher asked to negotiate a buyout.
He still wants to play, but he wants to do so for a contender his publicist told Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
“Derek’s desire to win a sixth championship is what drives him and will continue to drive him as he moves forward,” said Jamie Wior in a statement Sunday night.
So what contenders might want him? When he was a free agent a year ago the Miami Heat expressed interest, although they are more solid at the point guard spot now (Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole) than they were then (Mike Bibby). There also are reports the Spurs and Thunder may have interest — the Thunder are without Russell Westbrook‘s backup Eric Maynor for the rest of the season.
No contending team is going to have a lot of minutes to give, but some could use his veteran presence in the locker room during the playoffs.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games