Mar 18, 2012, 8:37 PM EST
Took them long enough, but Denver got their guy.
Chandler spent the year in China expecting a prolonged lockout, then was released from his contract when his team was eliminated from play in the CBA and allowed to return stateside. There had been questions if Denver would bring him back with the emergence of Danilo Gallinari and the acquisitions of Corey Brewer and Rudy Fernandez. But Denver knew they could get get good value on Chandler, and brought him back.
The deal is reportedly five-years, $37 million which puts it above the $30 million mark reported earlier but still significantly cheaper than what teams pay for worse players (oh, hi Orlando, didn’t see you there). It now means that the Nuggets have a wing rotation of:
and they play some two-point-guard lineups with Andre Miller as well. This after the Nuggets had questions about whether they would be able to field the minimum roster at the start of the year. The Nuggets are deep, but the same questions they’ve had remain. Chandler had the ability to score 40 under Mike D’Antoni in New York, but struggled to adjust in Denver, especially in the playoffs last year. They still lack a go-to guy. But having Chandler for depth and versatility is a great get. He’s still in a good place in terms of youth and health, and has a great skillset.
Another good move for Denver.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 6
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 11
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 13
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 14
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (38)