Mar 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s a cold business with little room for sentimentality.
Derek Fisher was part of the problem for the Lakers at the point guard spot. If the Lakers were going to have any shot at a ring they needed an upgrade — Ramon Sessions is an upgrade. A big upgrade. Steve Blake is a solid backup.
So the Lakers moved Fisher — which sent some Lakers fans over the edge. Not all, but it did the oversized lunatic fringe of Lakers fans.
“I’ve been here a while and had some of my closest friends go starting with Caron (Butler), Ronny Turiaf, Lamar Odom and now Derek,” Bryant said a day after the Lakers traded Fisher. “I’ve been through it many times before….
“He knows how I am,” Bryant said. “We talked about the good times and you know what a fun time we had going into battle together. But that’s as sentimental as I’m going to get.”
Kobe loves Fisher. He’d love ring number six more. Sessions brings them closer to that — with him they may be the second best team in the West. To have Fisher on the bench (not playing much as the third PG) would have been an awkward political situation. Better to make a clean break and move him.
And no, Lakers fans, they cannot bring back Kobe’s friend. The Rockets are buying Fisher out but the CBA prevents the Lakers from re-signing him this season.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 22
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23