Mar 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
It’s a cold business with little room for sentimentality.
Derek Fisher was part of the problem for the Lakers at the point guard spot. If the Lakers were going to have any shot at a ring they needed an upgrade — Ramon Sessions is an upgrade. A big upgrade. Steve Blake is a solid backup.
So the Lakers moved Fisher — which sent some Lakers fans over the edge. Not all, but it did the oversized lunatic fringe of Lakers fans.
“I’ve been here a while and had some of my closest friends go starting with Caron (Butler), Ronny Turiaf, Lamar Odom and now Derek,” Bryant said a day after the Lakers traded Fisher. “I’ve been through it many times before….
“He knows how I am,” Bryant said. “We talked about the good times and you know what a fun time we had going into battle together. But that’s as sentimental as I’m going to get.”
Kobe loves Fisher. He’d love ring number six more. Sessions brings them closer to that — with him they may be the second best team in the West. To have Fisher on the bench (not playing much as the third PG) would have been an awkward political situation. Better to make a clean break and move him.
And no, Lakers fans, they cannot bring back Kobe’s friend. The Rockets are buying Fisher out but the CBA prevents the Lakers from re-signing him this season.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 0
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 14
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)