Mar 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s a cold business with little room for sentimentality.
Derek Fisher was part of the problem for the Lakers at the point guard spot. If the Lakers were going to have any shot at a ring they needed an upgrade — Ramon Sessions is an upgrade. A big upgrade. Steve Blake is a solid backup.
So the Lakers moved Fisher — which sent some Lakers fans over the edge. Not all, but it did the oversized lunatic fringe of Lakers fans.
“I’ve been here a while and had some of my closest friends go starting with Caron (Butler), Ronny Turiaf, Lamar Odom and now Derek,” Bryant said a day after the Lakers traded Fisher. “I’ve been through it many times before….
“He knows how I am,” Bryant said. “We talked about the good times and you know what a fun time we had going into battle together. But that’s as sentimental as I’m going to get.”
Kobe loves Fisher. He’d love ring number six more. Sessions brings them closer to that — with him they may be the second best team in the West. To have Fisher on the bench (not playing much as the third PG) would have been an awkward political situation. Better to make a clean break and move him.
And no, Lakers fans, they cannot bring back Kobe’s friend. The Rockets are buying Fisher out but the CBA prevents the Lakers from re-signing him this season.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85