Mar 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
It’s a cold business with little room for sentimentality.
Derek Fisher was part of the problem for the Lakers at the point guard spot. If the Lakers were going to have any shot at a ring they needed an upgrade — Ramon Sessions is an upgrade. A big upgrade. Steve Blake is a solid backup.
So the Lakers moved Fisher — which sent some Lakers fans over the edge. Not all, but it did the oversized lunatic fringe of Lakers fans.
“I’ve been here a while and had some of my closest friends go starting with Caron (Butler), Ronny Turiaf, Lamar Odom and now Derek,” Bryant said a day after the Lakers traded Fisher. “I’ve been through it many times before….
“He knows how I am,” Bryant said. “We talked about the good times and you know what a fun time we had going into battle together. But that’s as sentimental as I’m going to get.”
Kobe loves Fisher. He’d love ring number six more. Sessions brings them closer to that — with him they may be the second best team in the West. To have Fisher on the bench (not playing much as the third PG) would have been an awkward political situation. Better to make a clean break and move him.
And no, Lakers fans, they cannot bring back Kobe’s friend. The Rockets are buying Fisher out but the CBA prevents the Lakers from re-signing him this season.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 9
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 12
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 20
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18