Mar 17, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim should be nervous. Let’s just say, I’m not betting on Syracuse next week.
It’s been a tough week for three of the four coaches that will lead Team USA this summer in the 2012 Olympics in London — Mike Krzyzewski, Mike D’Antoni and Nate McMillan.
Head coach Krzyzewski’s Duke Blue Devils screwed up President Barack Obama’s bracket and many others by losing to 15-seed Lehigh in the first round. (Obama is better off than most though, he had Duke losing to Baylor in the sweet 16.)
Assistant coach D’Antoni was fired/resigned from the Knicks last week (both sides called it “mutual”) after he demanded New York management try to get him players that fit his system and they said they were sticking with Carmelo Anthony. D’Antoni got the worst part of the rebuilding effort in New York but when they got talent he couldn’t fit it into his system — and Anthony never really bought in.
The friction there has some wondering in Anthony might miss the Olympics. Don’t bet on it. For one, Nike wants him there. For another, he is consistently one of the better international performers for Team USA — his wing game fits very well in FIBA ball where he gets good looks or room to attack. And with Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and others on the team he doesn’t dare demand 25 shots a game.
USA assistant coach Nate McMillan was fired by the Portland Trail Blazers as they completely blew up their roster and started to try to rebuild with cap space and picks last week. The Blazers had fallen apart this season and McMillan took the fall for that, even though this team hasn’t had a GM for more than a season and the owner’s whims are part of the problem.
Coach K, D’Antoni and McMillan may need the extra time thrust upon them. Because of the lockout and the relatively early Olympics (starting July 27) the roster for Team USA will be set before the NBA season ends, before a training camp and tryout. And they have a lot of hard choices to make.
Jim Boeheim — the fourth coach on the staff — may be joining them soon enough.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12