Mar 17, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
I’m about to bring up The Veto again. I don’t want to. I think I’m pretty clear on where I stand on the whole thing. (To catch you up if you don’t read regularly or follow on Twitter, Lakers trade for Paul was bad for both the Hornets and Rockets, but especially the Hornets who need to rebuild through draft and tank for good drafting, not get swept from the first round with long-term expensive contracts.) But it’s impossible to get around the whole thing.
The Hornets landed Chris Kaman in the deal and tried to move him, couldn’t. Then they took him off the block, and then put him back on. Basically the market wasn’t there. But there are indications that the Hornets understand what they need to do because they weren’t moving Kaman for anything long-term. Like, oh, say, Detroit’s mistakes. From the Detroit Free Press:
The Detroit Pistons had talks with several teams before Thursday’s NBA trade deadline, as they attempted to land a big man to pair with second-year center Greg Monroe.
Specifically, they were engaged in talks with the New Orleans Hornets for center Chris Kaman.
The Hornets would be taking on bad, long-term veterans which are considered terrible signings, just to try and get better now. How does Ben Gordon fit with Eric Gordon when and if they get him back? Does Villanueva have any place on that roster? So the Hornets aren’t looking to move into veteran territory, which is a smart thing. They need to go young, cheap, and flexible.
The memo has been gotten. Mediocre is not the objective. Good in two to three years is the objective. They’re on their way.
Now, about those talks of extending Kaman….
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14