Mar 17, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
I’m about to bring up The Veto again. I don’t want to. I think I’m pretty clear on where I stand on the whole thing. (To catch you up if you don’t read regularly or follow on Twitter, Lakers trade for Paul was bad for both the Hornets and Rockets, but especially the Hornets who need to rebuild through draft and tank for good drafting, not get swept from the first round with long-term expensive contracts.) But it’s impossible to get around the whole thing.
The Hornets landed Chris Kaman in the deal and tried to move him, couldn’t. Then they took him off the block, and then put him back on. Basically the market wasn’t there. But there are indications that the Hornets understand what they need to do because they weren’t moving Kaman for anything long-term. Like, oh, say, Detroit’s mistakes. From the Detroit Free Press:
The Detroit Pistons had talks with several teams before Thursday’s NBA trade deadline, as they attempted to land a big man to pair with second-year center Greg Monroe.
Specifically, they were engaged in talks with the New Orleans Hornets for center Chris Kaman.
The Hornets would be taking on bad, long-term veterans which are considered terrible signings, just to try and get better now. How does Ben Gordon fit with Eric Gordon when and if they get him back? Does Villanueva have any place on that roster? So the Hornets aren’t looking to move into veteran territory, which is a smart thing. They need to go young, cheap, and flexible.
The memo has been gotten. Mediocre is not the objective. Good in two to three years is the objective. They’re on their way.
Now, about those talks of extending Kaman….
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29