Mar 16, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
The Lakers needed to move Derek Fisher for political reasons in the locker room — can you have a guy the Lakers fans love and the team signed because Kobe Bryant wanted him to sitting at the end of the bench? Almost never in the game? His play warrants him sitting, but fans won’t see it that way. Media would ask Kobe what he thought, it would be a topic for talk radio, it would be a distraction the Lakers don’t need.
Fisher has a player option for $3.4 million for next season that he certainly was going to pick up. The Rockets will certainly have to compensate him for that.
Once he is bought out, he will be a free agent. There was interest from the Miami Heat last year, and it wouldn’t be stunning to see a contender or near contender add him for the stretch run.
And no, the Lakers are not going to be that team. Aside the reasons mentioned above, the CBA prevents the Lakers from re-signing him until July after trading him.
Also, we have to say this — Fisher the player does not bring much at all to the table any more. On any contending team he is likely the third point guard (as he would have been in Los Angeles behind Ramon Sessions and Steve Blake). Lakers fans are understandably sentimental about him, but the reality is if he were any other player with another franchise he would not have gotten his last contract. A team might bring him in now to provide championship experience in the locker room and a little guard depth, but he can’t contribute much on the court anymore. Even in the final seconds.
This ending is not how I will choose to remember Fisher. But this is pretty much the end.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4