Mar 16, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
The end to one of the unusual courtship dances in a while could be coming to an end.
Wilson Chandler was a restricted free agent upon return from his lockout-inspired trip to play in China. He wanted either a long-term deal or a very short one that put him in the free agent market this summer, the Nuggets wanted a good deal for them. Nobody other teams stepped in with an offer for the restricted free agent because the Nuggets just would have matched it.
But Chandler and the Nuggets are near a deal, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
“It’s very, very close,” one source said.
Final parameters are still being discussed, sources said, but one scenario on the table is a five-year deal worth in excess of $30 million with a team option in the fifth year.
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri said that in the next couple of days he expects to sign Chandler, tweets Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post. That means just acquired big man Ronny Turiaf will be waived to make room.
When the Nuggets traded away Nene for JaVale McGee and parts on Thursday, it gave them some financial flexibility in this and subsequent years to give Chandler the kind of deal he was seeking.
Chandler averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds a game for Denver last season.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 25
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 2
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 28
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 3
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10