Mar 16, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
The end to one of the unusual courtship dances in a while could be coming to an end.
Wilson Chandler was a restricted free agent upon return from his lockout-inspired trip to play in China. He wanted either a long-term deal or a very short one that put him in the free agent market this summer, the Nuggets wanted a good deal for them. Nobody other teams stepped in with an offer for the restricted free agent because the Nuggets just would have matched it.
But Chandler and the Nuggets are near a deal, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
“It’s very, very close,” one source said.
Final parameters are still being discussed, sources said, but one scenario on the table is a five-year deal worth in excess of $30 million with a team option in the fifth year.
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri said that in the next couple of days he expects to sign Chandler, tweets Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post. That means just acquired big man Ronny Turiaf will be waived to make room.
When the Nuggets traded away Nene for JaVale McGee and parts on Thursday, it gave them some financial flexibility in this and subsequent years to give Chandler the kind of deal he was seeking.
Chandler averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds a game for Denver last season.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 78
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 46
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay