Mar 16, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
The end to one of the unusual courtship dances in a while could be coming to an end.
Wilson Chandler was a restricted free agent upon return from his lockout-inspired trip to play in China. He wanted either a long-term deal or a very short one that put him in the free agent market this summer, the Nuggets wanted a good deal for them. Nobody other teams stepped in with an offer for the restricted free agent because the Nuggets just would have matched it.
But Chandler and the Nuggets are near a deal, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
“It’s very, very close,” one source said.
Final parameters are still being discussed, sources said, but one scenario on the table is a five-year deal worth in excess of $30 million with a team option in the fifth year.
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri said that in the next couple of days he expects to sign Chandler, tweets Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post. That means just acquired big man Ronny Turiaf will be waived to make room.
When the Nuggets traded away Nene for JaVale McGee and parts on Thursday, it gave them some financial flexibility in this and subsequent years to give Chandler the kind of deal he was seeking.
Chandler averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds a game for Denver last season.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6