Mar 16, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
The end to one of the unusual courtship dances in a while could be coming to an end.
Wilson Chandler was a restricted free agent upon return from his lockout-inspired trip to play in China. He wanted either a long-term deal or a very short one that put him in the free agent market this summer, the Nuggets wanted a good deal for them. Nobody other teams stepped in with an offer for the restricted free agent because the Nuggets just would have matched it.
But Chandler and the Nuggets are near a deal, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
“It’s very, very close,” one source said.
Final parameters are still being discussed, sources said, but one scenario on the table is a five-year deal worth in excess of $30 million with a team option in the fifth year.
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri said that in the next couple of days he expects to sign Chandler, tweets Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post. That means just acquired big man Ronny Turiaf will be waived to make room.
When the Nuggets traded away Nene for JaVale McGee and parts on Thursday, it gave them some financial flexibility in this and subsequent years to give Chandler the kind of deal he was seeking.
Chandler averaged 12 points and 5 rebounds a game for Denver last season.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28