Mar 16, 2012, 11:43 AM EST
Ultimately, Dwight Howard wanted to stay in Orlando and — after a couple days of ridiculous flip-flopping — he decided to “opt in.” (Technically he waived his right to opt-out of his contract, but we’ll go with opt-in.) Dwight Howard has a loyalty to Orlando that overcame everything else.
Deron Williams has no such loyalty to New Jersey.
The day after Howard’s decision, Williams was asked if he would opt-in with the Nets. At least he didn’t laugh outright. But this is pretty close. Here are the tweets from Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.
Deron Williams tells the Daily News: “I will not op-in. Its not monkey see, monkey do.”
So to clarify, Deron says he will definitely become a free agent after the season and weigh his options
Somewhere, Mark Cuban involuntarily smiled.
Williams has kept quiet this season and not talked about wanting to be traded or who the Nets needed to get to keep him. As best he could he stayed out of the spotlight.
Sorry Nets fans, he’s as good as gone. He’s going to opt out for sure and is a good bet to sign in his home town of Dallas next season. Which makes the Nets trade-deadline move to get Gerald Wallace — a trade meant to bolster the team in the short term — makes no sense. They gave up their first-round pick. This is a deep draft, the Nets could have gotten a good player. Instead they got Wallace, a player who also can opt-out after the season.
The new Barclay Center in Brooklyn better be stunning, because it will need to distract Nets fans from the team next season, they are going to be awful.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9