While team shops him, Dwight Howard tells Magic “take a chance” on me

Mar 15, 2012, 1:32 AM EST

Dwight Howard AP

It’s actions, not words that matter.

Dwight Howard told the Magic Wednesday night to take a chance on him again, like they did when he was 18. Trust him.

“They took a chance on me at 18,” Howard said (transcribed from the Orlando Sentinel’s postgame video). “And what did I do? I gave them everything I had for eight years. Take a chance again.”

But Magic ownership sees a guy that earlier that day told his teammates and members of the front office that he would opt-in and spend another year with the Magic — then hours later said he would not give up his right to terminate his contract this summer. He would not give up his rights to walk away after this season and leave the Magic empty handed. Ownership sees a Howard that wants his cake and to eat it to — to make a playoff run with a good Magic team then test free agency.

Even as late as 1:30 am Thursday morning came a report from Jarrod N Rudolph of RealGM that in an exclusive interview Howard told him again he would opt-in for next season. That he would send the paperwork in Thursday morning.

The Magic will believe it when they see it. As they should — actions not words. In the short term they feel they have no choice — Magic officials are burning up the phones talking to other teams, looking to move Howard before the 3 p.m. Thursday trade deadline, according to multiple sources such as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

The Nets — Howard’s preferred destination — have a package centered around Brook Lopez and a couple first round picks, along with other players. The Rockets and Lakers, both long time suitors of Howard, are making a push. The Magic are reaching out to teams like the Knicks to see if a package involving Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler is a possibility. They are talking to everyone.

But Howard really doesn’t want to be traded. Here is what he said following the Magic’s loss to the Spurs Wednesday night (transcribed from the Orlando Sentinel’s video of his postgame remarks).

“They know how I feel,” Howard said. “I’ve expressed that to my teammates. I’ve expressed that to ownership, and it’s on them now. I’ve done my job. I haven’t changed. And despite whatever is being said, I’m still the same person. If you want to scrutinize me for taking care of Dwight, then that’s fine….

“I’ve sat down with them on numerous occasions about what we can do together, but I can’t do it all myself. I want them to help. I want them to be involved in changing Orlando. That’s always been my goal. And if that don’t know what to do. But I want to continue to play…

“They took a chance on me at 18. And what did I do? I gave them everything I had for eight years. Take a chance again. I go out every night and play hard. If I didn’t want to win I would have dogged it, but I can’t do that. That’s not who I am. And look where we are. We’re in a great position. All I said was take a chance. They took a chance on me at 18 when everybody else said ‘no, don’t do it.’ It looked stupid at first, but look now. It’s the same situation. That’s it. I understand their situation “

If he really understands their situation, he’ll understand why they have to trade him. They can’t trust him not to walk away at the end of the season now. He lost that. Because of his actions.

Latest Posts
  1. Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.

2. Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48

Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST

Anthony mason knicks Getty Images

He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.

3. Langston Galloway three forces overtime, Knicks go on to victory (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

New York Knicks v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

The Knicks got the double OT win in Detroit, this shot was key.

4. Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

Westbrook is averaging a triple-double over his last five games.

5. Knicks’ Alexey Shved misses shot about as badly as you can (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. New York Knicks TD Garden Getty Images

To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”

6. Rumor: Baron Davis planning an NBA comeback. Stop laughing, he’s serious.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.

7. What’s the best way to defend Kings’ cherry-picking idea?

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST

NBA teams are considering the question

8. Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change

Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST

Houston Rockets Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.

9. Re-inventing the Wheel: Mike Zarren presents modified NBA-draft-lottery-reform proposals

Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST

the modified draft wheel

Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans

10. Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’

Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.

11. Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers

Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks Getty Images

He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)

12. NBA to release “Last Two Minutes” officiating reports through end of season, playoffs

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. Brooklyn Nets At TD Garden Getty Images

It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.

13. Report: Highest bid for Atlanta Hawks currently $800 million

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.

14. Report: If Ray Allen return to NBA this season it will not be with Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ray Allen Getty Images

Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.

15. The time Michael Jordan asked Common to forge his signature (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

87th Annual Academy Awards - Red Carpet Getty Images

Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.

16. Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST

Game One Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Eastern Conference Finals Game One Getty Images

The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.

17. Shane Battier says peer pressure is more valuable than coaching in the NBA

Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.

18. Report: Phil Jackson to get fined for innocuous comment on Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Celebrities Attend Vancouver Canucks Vs New York Rangers Game - February 19, 2015 Getty Images

Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (7973)
  2. D. Rose (7620)
  3. S. Curry (7354)
  4. D. Howard (7040)
  5. P. George (6556)
  1. M. Carter-Williams (6516)
  2. A. Davis (6114)