Mar 15, 2012, 9:25 PM EST
It was a rough first half of the season for Pau Gasol.
Ever since training camp, when he was included in the trade that would have sent him out of town in exchange for Chris Paul, except that it was vetoed … well, it was never really agreed to by the Hornets’ ownership, so technically the trade was never made, and thus, it wasn’t vetoed. David Stern himself will remind you of this if the topic is ever brought up in his presence, as it was during his press conference over All-Star weekend in Orlando …
Wait, where was I? Oh, yes. Gasol.
The Lakers star forward, a member of two championship teams, has been mentioned in legitimate trade rumors since before the season began. It caused Kobe Bryant to speak out publicly against the organization, and caused Gasol to play with his mind clearly elsewhere for several stretches to this point in the season.
All that appears to be over now that the trade deadline has passed. Gasol has moved on, and seemed relieved and happy in the video message above he posted after the trade deadline had passed. The loss of Derek Fisher will definitely be felt in the locker room, but a focused and motivated Gasol in the season’s second half should do wonders for the Lakers as they march towards the postseason.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)