Mar 15, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
It was a rough first half of the season for Pau Gasol.
Ever since training camp, when he was included in the trade that would have sent him out of town in exchange for Chris Paul, except that it was vetoed … well, it was never really agreed to by the Hornets’ ownership, so technically the trade was never made, and thus, it wasn’t vetoed. David Stern himself will remind you of this if the topic is ever brought up in his presence, as it was during his press conference over All-Star weekend in Orlando …
Wait, where was I? Oh, yes. Gasol.
The Lakers star forward, a member of two championship teams, has been mentioned in legitimate trade rumors since before the season began. It caused Kobe Bryant to speak out publicly against the organization, and caused Gasol to play with his mind clearly elsewhere for several stretches to this point in the season.
All that appears to be over now that the trade deadline has passed. Gasol has moved on, and seemed relieved and happy in the video message above he posted after the trade deadline had passed. The loss of Derek Fisher will definitely be felt in the locker room, but a focused and motivated Gasol in the season’s second half should do wonders for the Lakers as they march towards the postseason.
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 46
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 35
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 28
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 82
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 36
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 26
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 49
- NBA salary cap jumps nearly $5 million next year to $63 million, luxury tax line $76.8 million 7