Mar 15, 2012, 2:50 PM EST
The Spurs have acquired Stephen Jackson from the Warriors in exchange for Richard Jefferson, according to a report from Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports. Golden State will also receive a conditional first round draft pick as part of the deal, according to Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group.
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich knows what he’s getting with Jackson, who played in San Antonio for two seasons early in his career, and helped the Spurs win a championship in 2003. A lot has happened with Jackson since then, both on and off the court, and he’s bounced around the league for a variety of reasons while playing for five different teams.
Popovich runs one of the tightest ships in the league, though, and wouldn’t be bringing Jackson into the fold unless he knew he could control the situation. When healthy and dialed-in, Jackson is an above-average defender, and can provide a scoring punch when necessary, as well.
The salaries of Jackson and Jefferson match almost exactly, in the neighborhood of $10 million this season. The reason San Antonio had to throw in the draft pick was likely to entice the Warriors to commit to an extra year of Jefferson at that price; whether or not that actually makes sense for Golden State is questionable at best.
Jackson’s contract expires at the end of this season, making him a low-risk, short-term rental that would appear to immediately improve the Spurs, who currently sit in second place in the Western Conference standings.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13