Mar 15, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
The Spurs have acquired Stephen Jackson from the Warriors in exchange for Richard Jefferson, according to a report from Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports. Golden State will also receive a conditional first round draft pick as part of the deal, according to Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group.
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich knows what he’s getting with Jackson, who played in San Antonio for two seasons early in his career, and helped the Spurs win a championship in 2003. A lot has happened with Jackson since then, both on and off the court, and he’s bounced around the league for a variety of reasons while playing for five different teams.
Popovich runs one of the tightest ships in the league, though, and wouldn’t be bringing Jackson into the fold unless he knew he could control the situation. When healthy and dialed-in, Jackson is an above-average defender, and can provide a scoring punch when necessary, as well.
The salaries of Jackson and Jefferson match almost exactly, in the neighborhood of $10 million this season. The reason San Antonio had to throw in the draft pick was likely to entice the Warriors to commit to an extra year of Jefferson at that price; whether or not that actually makes sense for Golden State is questionable at best.
Jackson’s contract expires at the end of this season, making him a low-risk, short-term rental that would appear to immediately improve the Spurs, who currently sit in second place in the Western Conference standings.
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 0
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 8
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 84
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (83)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay