Mar 15, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
In it’s trade deadline moves Thursday, Portland took on a number of players (with expiring contracts, to free up cap space to rebuild on the fly) but in doing so at the end of the day they had 17 guys on the 15-man roster. Cuts had to be made.
One of those is Greg Oden.
The 2007 No. 1 overall pick who has not been on an NBA court in three years and is headed for a third microfracture surgery is finally going to be waived, according to Marc Stein of ESPN and multiple other reports.
The Blazers had brought him back on the roster this year but even then it was a reduced rate then his qualifying offer (more than $8 million) because they didn’t think he would contribute much. Then came word that a minor knee surgery became another microfracture. At that point everybody knew it was the end.
This move is not really a surprise. But it is the sunset on the Oden era.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants