Mar 15, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
The Lakers had been looking to bring in a quality point guard at the trade deadline (and they did in a deal for Ramon Sessions).
But nobody expected them to ship out Derek Fisher.
But that’s what they did just before the trade deadline, shipping Fisher along with a first-round pick to Houston for reserve big man Jordan Hill.
Lakers fans started asking why? This is Derek Fisher. He of the five rings. He of 0.4. The Laker who has been so clutch for them over the years. The one guy on the roster Kobe Bryant trusts in the big moment (although Andrew Bynum seems to be there lately).
Why? Because Fisher is all those things so they had to move him. For the good of the future locker room.
Sessions is now the Lakers’ starting point guard. He is going to play the bulk of the minutes at the point and the ones he doesn’t play should go to the Lakers’ second best point — Steve Blake.
This means Fisher would have sat. And sat. He would see sporadic minutes at best. And that would have been a politically awkward thing in the locker room where Kobe is Fisher’s biggest supporter. How do you leave a guy like Fisher out of the rotation? Not easily. No matter how professional Fisher was, it would have been awkward.
The Lakers also wanted a little depth along the front line and Hill can provide that.
The price for taking on Fisher was a first-round pick (the one that actually belonged to Dallas and came to the Lakers in the Lamar Odom trade). The Rockets are going to talk buyout with Fisher, according to reports.
Yes, Fisher has played elsewhere before, Golden State and Utah. Still, it will be odd to see him in another uniform.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43