Mar 15, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
The Lakers — desperate for a point guard — have traded their first round pick this season to get Ramon Sessions from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Multiple sources now confirm this trade, although Brian Windhorst of ESPN was the first. The full deal is Sessions and Christian Eyenga to the Lakers, for Luke Walton and the Lakers first round pick this season.
Sessions is a better point guard than anyone the Lakers have on their roster — particularly for running the more traditional sets of new coach Mike Brown (as opposed to the triangle offense of previous years). Sessions is a quick, slashing guard who looks to set people up and is not a pure shooter. He is averaging 10.5 points and 5.2 assists per game, with a PER of 16.4. Sessions is also shooting 41.9 percent from three — way above his career average but it fills a desperate need if he can keep it up. The Lakers need outside shooting.
Sessions is not the home run the Lakers wanted (and he can opt out after this season) but he makes them a much bigger threat in the West. Still wouldn’t put them ahead of the Thunder, but they are on the next tier down.
Sessions was expendable from Cleveland as they turn their offense over to Kyrie Irving.
The Cavaliers held out for a first round pick and they get the Lakers’ this draft. The Lakers still have a first rounder, Dallas’ pick, something they got in the Lamar Odom trade before the season.
Eyenga has bounced between the D-League and NBA.
Luke Walton has one more year on his contract after this, but the Lakers needed to clear out the cap space and the Cavaliers can get that space after next season. And he can still play a little, when healthy.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22