Mar 15, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
The Lakers — desperate for a point guard — have traded their first round pick this season to get Ramon Sessions from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Multiple sources now confirm this trade, although Brian Windhorst of ESPN was the first. The full deal is Sessions and Christian Eyenga to the Lakers, for Luke Walton and the Lakers first round pick this season.
Sessions is a better point guard than anyone the Lakers have on their roster — particularly for running the more traditional sets of new coach Mike Brown (as opposed to the triangle offense of previous years). Sessions is a quick, slashing guard who looks to set people up and is not a pure shooter. He is averaging 10.5 points and 5.2 assists per game, with a PER of 16.4. Sessions is also shooting 41.9 percent from three — way above his career average but it fills a desperate need if he can keep it up. The Lakers need outside shooting.
Sessions is not the home run the Lakers wanted (and he can opt out after this season) but he makes them a much bigger threat in the West. Still wouldn’t put them ahead of the Thunder, but they are on the next tier down.
Sessions was expendable from Cleveland as they turn their offense over to Kyrie Irving.
The Cavaliers held out for a first round pick and they get the Lakers’ this draft. The Lakers still have a first rounder, Dallas’ pick, something they got in the Lamar Odom trade before the season.
Eyenga has bounced between the D-League and NBA.
Luke Walton has one more year on his contract after this, but the Lakers needed to clear out the cap space and the Cavaliers can get that space after next season. And he can still play a little, when healthy.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 0
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 0
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 14
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 40