Mar 14, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Something had to give with the Knicks, and it was coach Mike D’Antoni.
He has resigned as coach of the New York Knicks, something first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo and since confirmed by multiple sources.
The two sides described a conflicting vision of the future of the franchise and made a mutual decision to part ways, Woj reports.
Assistant coach Mike Woodson would move into the big chair in the short term (meaning the rest of this season).
The Knicks have lost six in a row and have been in disarray. To put it mildly. But while nobody really expected D’Antoni to keep his job past this season (when his contract was up) the timing comes as a surprise. The move will be seen as a win for Carmelo Anthony and a loss for Amare Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin (who fit D’Antoni’s system
Despite what some Knicks fans think, this is not about to solve the team’s problems.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'