Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
The Orlando Magic ownership — and that is who ultimately makes this call — is still deciding what to do.
Dwight Howard wants the Orlando Magic to “roll the dice” on him and keep him through the end of the season. It’s all about winning, he said. Don’t think this is about keeping his options open and making sure if he does leave via free agency this summer the franchise where he lands will not have gutted itself of good players to get him. Nope, not about that at all. It’s all about the winning.
Magic officials are still looking at their options — and talking trade — but Howard’s rant frustrated them, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
After Howard and Magic executives had promised each other to keep their conversations private, some team executives were privately disgusted with his public comments Tuesday night.
As Tom Ziller notes at SBN, those same “disgusted” officials would pretty much do anything — disgusting or otherwise — to get him to stay.
The Magic are still fielding offers for Howard in the event owner Rich DeVos decides he wants to trade Howard. That includes even talking to the Knicks, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated. Which has to be exactly the kind of focused, professional franchise Howard always dreamed of playing for.
Sources say the Lakers and even the Knicks are among the teams who have engaged with the Magic in recent days. Howard has told close friends that he doesn’t want to play for the Lakers, but deals have been discussed between the two teams with the shared hope that he would change his stance.
While Golden State’s trade for Milwaukee center Andrew Bogut on Tuesday night took them out of the running for Howard in what would have been a “rental” situation, Houston remains willing to trade for Howard without any assurances that he will re-sign.
All the trade offers and whatever Howard himself says at this point is pure window dressings. The only thing that matters now is the call DeVos makes — he will make the decision on trading or keeping Howard. The ball is in his court.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14