Mar 14, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Are you into conspiracy theories and NBA basketball? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Late Tuesday night, a link began circulating on Twitter to a page on the NBA’s online store that would allow you to buy a New Jersey Nets t-shirt, as if Dwight Howard — of the Orlando Magic currently, but not expected to be after the season, and also kind of in limbo until Thursday’s trade deadline — was now a member of that organization.
It has since been taken down, but as the screen shot accompanying this post shows, it was indeed live.
Howard, of course, has not yet been dealt anywhere, and the latest comments from him suggest he’d prefer to remain in Orlando to finish out the season. But all signs point to his wanting to be in New Jersey next season, so this curious quirk in the NBA Store’s online inventory has, of course, raised some eyebrows.
There are many possible legitimate explanations for this, and it’s unclear how exactly one would have arrived at this destination by starting from the store.nba.com home page to begin with.
But the facts are these: At the time of this writing, there was a live link, at the NBA’s official online store, which specifically mentions Dwight Howard as a member of the New Jersey Nets. The item description read, “The player’s number is subject to change, and the T-shirt will not ship until the official number is issued.”
Draw your own conclusions.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record