Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
But it takes two teams to make a trade, and reports out of the Bay Area have consistently said they would only trade Ellis if they thought they could get Dwight Howard back. That was confirmed by a source close to new owner Joe Lacob, speaking with Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Warriors owner Joe Lacob has no interest in sending Monta Ellis to Orlando to help the Magic keep Dwight Howard, wanting instead to preserve his own slim chances of landing the All-Star center, league sources told CBSSports.com Tuesday.
The Magic’s attempt to put together a three-team deal that would’ve sent Ellis to Orlando and Andrew Bogut from Milwaukee to Golden State didn’t pass muster with the Warriors’ owner. The scenario was motivated by the Magic’s ongoing efforts to appease Howard by acquiring a top-flight talent in the hopes that he stays.
Lacob and Peter Guber (the pair that head the ownership group) are working hard to change the image of the Warriors franchise. That means moves off the court like talking about a new arena in San Francisco to hiring Mark Jackson as coach.
But in the end they need a big-time player. Dwight Howard is that guy and the Warriors have said they’d be willing to rent him — trade to get him for the rest of this season even though Howard said he would not sign an extension there.
Why would they move their best trade asset to Orlando to help them keep Howard?
Orlando still is leaning toward keeping Howard past the trade deadline and unless owner Rich DeVos changes his mind they will not move him.
The Warriors are reportedly still active trying to land Andrew Bogut out of Milwaukee. Eventually the Warriors are going to move Ellis (or Stephen Curry, but more likely Ellis). You have to give something to get something. But this is not that deal.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32