Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
But it takes two teams to make a trade, and reports out of the Bay Area have consistently said they would only trade Ellis if they thought they could get Dwight Howard back. That was confirmed by a source close to new owner Joe Lacob, speaking with Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Warriors owner Joe Lacob has no interest in sending Monta Ellis to Orlando to help the Magic keep Dwight Howard, wanting instead to preserve his own slim chances of landing the All-Star center, league sources told CBSSports.com Tuesday.
The Magic’s attempt to put together a three-team deal that would’ve sent Ellis to Orlando and Andrew Bogut from Milwaukee to Golden State didn’t pass muster with the Warriors’ owner. The scenario was motivated by the Magic’s ongoing efforts to appease Howard by acquiring a top-flight talent in the hopes that he stays.
Lacob and Peter Guber (the pair that head the ownership group) are working hard to change the image of the Warriors franchise. That means moves off the court like talking about a new arena in San Francisco to hiring Mark Jackson as coach.
But in the end they need a big-time player. Dwight Howard is that guy and the Warriors have said they’d be willing to rent him — trade to get him for the rest of this season even though Howard said he would not sign an extension there.
Why would they move their best trade asset to Orlando to help them keep Howard?
Orlando still is leaning toward keeping Howard past the trade deadline and unless owner Rich DeVos changes his mind they will not move him.
The Warriors are reportedly still active trying to land Andrew Bogut out of Milwaukee. Eventually the Warriors are going to move Ellis (or Stephen Curry, but more likely Ellis). You have to give something to get something. But this is not that deal.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights