Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
But it takes two teams to make a trade, and reports out of the Bay Area have consistently said they would only trade Ellis if they thought they could get Dwight Howard back. That was confirmed by a source close to new owner Joe Lacob, speaking with Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Warriors owner Joe Lacob has no interest in sending Monta Ellis to Orlando to help the Magic keep Dwight Howard, wanting instead to preserve his own slim chances of landing the All-Star center, league sources told CBSSports.com Tuesday.
The Magic’s attempt to put together a three-team deal that would’ve sent Ellis to Orlando and Andrew Bogut from Milwaukee to Golden State didn’t pass muster with the Warriors’ owner. The scenario was motivated by the Magic’s ongoing efforts to appease Howard by acquiring a top-flight talent in the hopes that he stays.
Lacob and Peter Guber (the pair that head the ownership group) are working hard to change the image of the Warriors franchise. That means moves off the court like talking about a new arena in San Francisco to hiring Mark Jackson as coach.
But in the end they need a big-time player. Dwight Howard is that guy and the Warriors have said they’d be willing to rent him — trade to get him for the rest of this season even though Howard said he would not sign an extension there.
Why would they move their best trade asset to Orlando to help them keep Howard?
Orlando still is leaning toward keeping Howard past the trade deadline and unless owner Rich DeVos changes his mind they will not move him.
The Warriors are reportedly still active trying to land Andrew Bogut out of Milwaukee. Eventually the Warriors are going to move Ellis (or Stephen Curry, but more likely Ellis). You have to give something to get something. But this is not that deal.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 23
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 26
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 12
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26