Mar 13, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
The feeling among Bulls fans is they have a good team — one built for the regular season but one that cannot get by the Heat in the playoffs. Not as the teams stand now. I don’t think the gap between the two teams (when healthy) is that great, but the Heat do look the better side when everything is functioning.
The Bulls need something more — like Pau Gasol.
That’s what they are talking to the Lakers about, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Chicago Bulls are exploring avenues to acquire Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol before Thursday’s trade deadline, according to sources close to the situation.
Sources say that the Lakers, however, have limited interest in the players Chicago would be offering, starting with Bulls forward Carlos Boozer. So the Bulls would have to recruit at least one more team to the discussions to have any shot at Gasol, sources said, with the Lakers known to be insistent on getting back at least one certifiable star if they consent to the trade the Spaniard. Sources say that the Lakers, furthermore, continue to talk to other teams about Gasol in advance.
For the Bulls, this makes a lot of sense (especially since Dwight Howard has no interest in Chicago). Pau Gasol is the kind of big they need — good scorer around the rim, has a midrange game, very good passer, underrated defender and he has championship experience.
For the Lakers… let’s just say the Bulls are going to have to offer a lot more to make up for the gap from Gasol to Boozer. A lot. That is a steep drop. I’m not sure who the third team would be or what they could offer, however I think there is a reason the Bulls are having trouble finding a good partner here. Nothing is impossible, but I’ll just say the Bulls have a large gap to bridge here.
Remember the Lakers think with a point guard to go with Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Gasol they are a threat in the West. They will entertain moving Gasol but they are not desperate to do so in the least.
The Rockets and other teams also are engaged in talking to the Lakers about Gasol, Stein reports.
But come Friday, I would expect Gasol will be a Laker.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4