Mar 13, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
As Thursday’s NBA trade deadline looms, there are certain players who can expect to hear conflicting reports as to what’s really going on with their status. Dwight Howard, based on his own actions, is certainly at the top of that list.
Brandon Jennings, however, wasn’t expecting to hear his name at all. But as several teams are at least in the talking stages of the deal-making process, Jennings’ name has indeed been a topic of conversation over the past couple of days.
A report from Sam Amick at SI.com on Monday quoted a rival executive in saying that Milwaukee has made Jennings available “for the right price.” Sounds too steep already, right? Then on Tuesday, Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports said Jennings won’t be traded at all, citing a source close to the situation.
If Jennings was (or still is) on the trading block, it’s worth wondering whether his talk of “doing his homework on big-market teams” last month may have helped place them there. Reading the comments closely, they were actually innocuous. But for a team like Milwaukee that’s struggled to build anywhere close to a contender in more than a decade, maybe they have decided to play it as safe as possible, and not take any chances.
For his part, Jennings seemed a bit rattled by the initial report.
“Now that I hear my name being mentioned in possible shopping around and stuff like that, my mind is just all over the place right now,” he said. “But with a trade, there’s nothing you can possibly do about it. You won’t hear from the front office. Of course they wouldn’t tell you.
“The main thing is I’m still able to do what I love and that’s play basketball, at the end of the day. I have no negative thing about it; but my mind is just wandering now.”
Jennings will only have to worry about it for another couple of days before things are resolved one way or the other. Maybe the most recent report will put him at ease — at least until the next one surfaces.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 36
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 44
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 57
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7