Frustrated Derrick Rose criticizes referees, fine coming soon

Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Derrick Rose is a smart man, he knew as he was ripping the referees after the Bulls win over the Knicks Monday night that a fine would be forthcoming.

But the man with the new big contract with the Bulls — not to mention a new big deal with Adidas — seemed to think the price would be worth it.

Here is what Rose said, via Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.

“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now,” he said, referring to his lack of free-throw attempts. “But I can’t say too much about it…

“How many times did I shoot today? And I’m the point guard,” he said, before discussing his strategy to combat the problem. “Keep going hard and make them call it. Keep driving. Just try to put pressure on them. If anything, I was worried about my turnovers.

“I could care less right now [about being fined by the NBA for his comments],” the Englewood native continued. “I want to continue to play the way I know how to play. I came in this league a driver. Nothing has changed. I’ll continue to play hard and try to win.”

It’s the fun conundrum of the NBA — sometimes superstar players do get superstar calls, but they also get hacked a lot more than other players because they take more shots. Dwight Howard complained about it earlier this year (although other teams would love to send him to the free throw like more). Pretty much every star complains about it.

Rose’s complaint will net him a fine. PBT will let you know when it comes down.

1. baned0n - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

The refs in that game were awful all around.

• drewsylvania - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

*in this league

• florida727 - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

When you watch game tape on cable, you see all the calls the refs missed. When you see all the calls the refs missed, you lash out via the media. When you lash out via the media, the NBA league office fines you. Don’t let the NBA league office fine. Get rid of cable. Upgrade to Direct TV.

2. doctordunkenstein - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

“How many times did I shoot today? And I’m the point guard”

That’s a good question D-Rose…how many times did you shoot today? 30 times? And your the point guard?

Good thing he’s so humble…

3. skinzfan21 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Well its about time!!! Good for you Derrick Rose……..this guy gets hammered and never complains, he is the only star to not get the “star treatment” from the refs!

• zblott - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Does Rose not understand that if it wasn’t for the refs last April, the Bulls would have lost in the first round of the playoffs? In Games 1 and 3 (both very tight), Rose attempted 36 free throws to the Pacers’ 35. You can’t just chalk it up to the teams’ styles of play because they faced each other 4 times in the regular season, and the free throw disparity was very very close. Then with playoff and MVP storylines being worked into full froth in the post-season, the games were suddenly officiated very differently and one-sidedly, especially at the ends of the first 3 games.

• solomon151 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Dude, YOu can point out two games all you want. But let that be LaBron or Kobe getting knocked around everytime he goes into the lane, Please. YOu would be fouled out before you knew it. The Refs in the NBA and College for that matter is the worst.Some guys can just put their shoulder down and run you over and you’ll get called for a foul. Look at James if you dont believe me. Some of the others will pump fake until you jump then jump into you and you’ll get called for a foul. Look at Wade or Kobe for that one. Those that are deem the leagues Favorite will get all of the calls. The rest are just on the outside looking in…..

• willias1 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Do you not remember Indiana changing their entire defensive style in that series in an attempt to stop Rose? Foster, Hansbrough, and McRoberts tried to knock him on his ass any time he went into the lane. They weren’t that physical in the 4 games in the regular season. Thus the free throw disparity.

4. readysethike - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I fail to see what was wrong about what he said…how does this merit a fine? This story is a stretch

• southbeachtalent - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Criticizing the refs will always get you a fine. Maybe they will give him a warning but looking at Stern’s past I doubt it.

BTW, happens to every star in the league (or superstar as Rose stated it…). As someone mentioned earlier, the whole league is suffering from bad officiating.

I can only imagine if LeBron would have made a comment like this, there would be over 50 responses by now. And all of them pertaining to the decision by the usual haters and the cleveland scorned. Funny isn’t it.

Oh and Derrick hasn’t won a ring yet so that argument wont work here.

• doctordunkenstein - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now”

Can u imagine the hate if LBJ said the same thing, and referred to himself as a superstar?

5. thraiderskin - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I’m not a Bulls fan, but does anyone else ever wonder why players can not have a public opinion about activities that happen in the public eye? If the referees are making bad calls and cost these competitors a win or made something more difficult then was needed, they should feel the public scrutiny via the players. I don’t consider what Rose said to be detrimental to the league, it should be taken comment by comment.

6. chitownmatt - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I think part of Derrick’s no-call issue is his frenetic style of rim attack. He is just so fast and so good at swinging his arms around and away from defenders that it is often difficult to “see” exactly what is happening before reviewing it two or three times on a replay.

If the refs just start giving Rose the “benefit of the doubt” so to speak, then the Bulls might get a very unfair advantage and Rose’s average would go from 21 to 28 in a hurry.

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

When will LeBron stop being such a whiner. Just play, win, and shut up. Oh, Derrick Rose said this? Good for you D-Rose. I wish more superstars were like him. He called himself a “Superstar” right? Yes. Humble.

• chitownmatt - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Since when has Lebron had a problem with no-calls???

I’ve seen him go to the line after a solo break with nobody else past the half-court line. lol (I’m kidding of course.)

But Lebron rarely has no-calls as he is so big and powerful, if there is contact more often than not the defender is knocked or pushed right out of the way. Its not hard to see the contact when the defender gets up wincing in pain.

• doctordunkenstein - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

i think that joke went right over your head chi town…

• doctordunkenstein - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

LOL he’s so humble. He couldve went with “Super Duper Star”, but opted to go with the much more humble “Superstar”

8. xLith - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The refs have been TERRIBLE this year.

9. bearsrulepackdrool - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I see no mention of the refs. There for no fine. Go Los Bulls!

10. imaduffer - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I love it when athletes call themselves “superstars.” You play basketball, just like all the other “superstars.”

• gmsingh - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The monster contract with Adidas says otherwise–sorry.

• imaduffer - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Don’t see all the young people running to the mall and getting in to fights for a pair of Adidas tennis shoes. All the real “superstars” wear Nike, like most young people.

11. asuthyo - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I believe the saying is “I COULD NOT care less” but, what would you expect from a guy who couldn’t even pass a high school level test to get into college as an athlete.

12. philtration - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I see Rose taking blows to the head in just about every game and there is no foul called.
    This is not some load mouthed rookie that supposedly has to “earn” those calls.
    He is the reigning MVP and he gets mugged all the time.

You can’t even look at Dwayne Wade without him falling down and flopping around like a fish while the ref blows the whistle.

13. doctordunkenstein - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Rose doesn’t get superstar calls given to him, but he does get MVP’s given to him…

14. isu1648 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

all of these leagues that fine players and coaches for criticizing the ref’s need to look at the situation and realize that by fining players/coaches is ADMITTING that the refs and officials actually are terrible.

if the NBA and NFL, etc felt their officiating was good, they wouldnt need to fine anybody, because the amazing officiating would speak for itself and the comments would be moot, making the player/coach look like a baby who cant take responsibility, and are unjustly blaming something.

by issuing the fines, the leagues are saying “stop calling attention to our terrible and possibly corrupt officiating”. And nothing more.

i dont know what other kind of message they are under the impression that fines send. it clearly doesnt evoke confidence in their officiating, thats for sure.

15. drewsylvania - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The refs are so bad that you wonder about league-sponsored Donaghyism.

16. kavika6 - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

What an arrogant douche-bag.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches