Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is a smart man, he knew as he was ripping the referees after the Bulls win over the Knicks Monday night that a fine would be forthcoming.
But the man with the new big contract with the Bulls — not to mention a new big deal with Adidas — seemed to think the price would be worth it.
Here is what Rose said, via Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now,” he said, referring to his lack of free-throw attempts. “But I can’t say too much about it…
“How many times did I shoot today? And I’m the point guard,” he said, before discussing his strategy to combat the problem. “Keep going hard and make them call it. Keep driving. Just try to put pressure on them. If anything, I was worried about my turnovers.
“I could care less right now [about being fined by the NBA for his comments],” the Englewood native continued. “I want to continue to play the way I know how to play. I came in this league a driver. Nothing has changed. I’ll continue to play hard and try to win.”
It’s the fun conundrum of the NBA — sometimes superstar players do get superstar calls, but they also get hacked a lot more than other players because they take more shots. Dwight Howard complained about it earlier this year (although other teams would love to send him to the free throw like more). Pretty much every star complains about it.
Rose’s complaint will net him a fine. PBT will let you know when it comes down.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'