Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is a smart man, he knew as he was ripping the referees after the Bulls win over the Knicks Monday night that a fine would be forthcoming.
But the man with the new big contract with the Bulls — not to mention a new big deal with Adidas — seemed to think the price would be worth it.
Here is what Rose said, via Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now,” he said, referring to his lack of free-throw attempts. “But I can’t say too much about it…
“How many times did I shoot today? And I’m the point guard,” he said, before discussing his strategy to combat the problem. “Keep going hard and make them call it. Keep driving. Just try to put pressure on them. If anything, I was worried about my turnovers.
“I could care less right now [about being fined by the NBA for his comments],” the Englewood native continued. “I want to continue to play the way I know how to play. I came in this league a driver. Nothing has changed. I’ll continue to play hard and try to win.”
It’s the fun conundrum of the NBA — sometimes superstar players do get superstar calls, but they also get hacked a lot more than other players because they take more shots. Dwight Howard complained about it earlier this year (although other teams would love to send him to the free throw like more). Pretty much every star complains about it.
Rose’s complaint will net him a fine. PBT will let you know when it comes down.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50