Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Derrick Rose is a smart man, he knew as he was ripping the referees after the Bulls win over the Knicks Monday night that a fine would be forthcoming.
But the man with the new big contract with the Bulls — not to mention a new big deal with Adidas — seemed to think the price would be worth it.
Here is what Rose said, via Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now,” he said, referring to his lack of free-throw attempts. “But I can’t say too much about it…
“How many times did I shoot today? And I’m the point guard,” he said, before discussing his strategy to combat the problem. “Keep going hard and make them call it. Keep driving. Just try to put pressure on them. If anything, I was worried about my turnovers.
“I could care less right now [about being fined by the NBA for his comments],” the Englewood native continued. “I want to continue to play the way I know how to play. I came in this league a driver. Nothing has changed. I’ll continue to play hard and try to win.”
It’s the fun conundrum of the NBA — sometimes superstar players do get superstar calls, but they also get hacked a lot more than other players because they take more shots. Dwight Howard complained about it earlier this year (although other teams would love to send him to the free throw like more). Pretty much every star complains about it.
Rose’s complaint will net him a fine. PBT will let you know when it comes down.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14