Derrick Rose fined $25,000 for comments about officials

Mar 13, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls' Rose tosses the ball in front of Los Angeles Clippers' Paul after the Bulls turned the ball over during their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles Reuters

We told you this was coming, and here it is.

Derrick Rose has been fined $25,000 by the league for comments made about officials after the Bulls beat the Knicks Monday night. Yes, the Bulls won but Rose was still frustrated.

What did Rose say that was so egregious? Well…

“I’ve got to be the only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now (meaning not getting calls when he drives the lane). But I can’t say too much about it…

“How many times did I shoot (free throws) today? And I’m the point guard. Keep going hard and make them call it. Keep driving. Just try to put pressure on them. If anything, I was worried about my turnovers.

“I could care less right now (about the fine he knew was coming at that point). I want to continue to play the way I know how to play. I came in this league a driver. Nothing has changed. I’ll continue to play hard and try to win.”

If you want to argue that is not worth a fine, go ahead, but the league comes down hard on anyone in the game who criticizes the officials. The league feels it undermines the integrity of the game.

1. rhetoric1 - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

humble comments, humble fine.

• losangelasbasketball - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM

what if lebron said this….

• Justin - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Kurt would twist the story and say that he is right even if everyone doesn’t like him…

• florida727 - Mar 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Good “investment” by Rose. $25K is a rounding error to a guy of his net worth. If it nets him a few calls in key situations, especially in the playoffs, money well spent. His mistake may have been saying too far in advance of the playoffs :)

2. usavebob - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The NBA should have a mechanism that would allow a player the right to complain and have a review occur- all behind the scenes. if the “protest/complaint was upheld, he gains the right to complain again. If not, suck it up.
    I wish I had $25k to throw away but it’s all relative.

• skids003 - Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Like fining me 25 cents. I bet he’s laughing his butt off.

3. cincyorangenblack - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

you know what undermins the integrity of the game? crappy, lopsided, biased, officiating.

EX: Miami Heat.
    they hack away alllll game long and hardly get called for it…..but “their defense is just SO tough”. Yeah, anyone could have the stats and steals the Heat do if their allowed to hack away all game long

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Truth.

4. Justin - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

“only superstar in the league that’s going through what I’m going through right now (meaning not getting calls when he drives the lane)”

And here in lies one of the biggest problem in the NBA. Why should a superstar be more entitled to a call. Makes me appreciate the officiating of college ball with March Madness coming up.

And as a T’Wolves fan I would argue that Kevin Love gets fouled a lot more and much harder and doesn’t get the calls. He does get to the FT line a lot but that has a lot to do with his position more than his “superstar” status.

5. imaduffer - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If Rose would have proclaimed he was a “super duper superstar” maybe the fine would not have been so high.

• shrek91874 - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM

actually that’s a pretty low fine. i believe a coach just got hit with a 50 k fine last week or so.
      probably because he did not call them out specifically. ie the refs did a bad job, or they missed this call.

6. readysethike - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

How ironic the biggest whiner this year, chris paul pictured behind rose who complains about every call

7. sabatimus - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Why don’t the refs get fined for being the most incompetent morons in any of the major sports? I mean, these days, if you cough you get T’d up.

8. glink123 - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I guess if you know you’re gonna get fined, you might as well get your money’s worth and say something like, “I think that the state of NBA officiating is the worst of all the major sports officiating, and for the league commissioner to continue to do nothing about improving it only validates the fact the the league has, and will continue to reserve the right to, use officiating to influence the outcome of games, and in some cases, entire playoff series”.

9. deiong - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

does Stern get fined when he underminds the integrity of the league? cause for the past 10 years, its obvious there is absolutely no inegrety in the game anymore… since he the the head hancho dirtier then anyone else in the league.

besides the comment was just saying whats already on everyone elses mind. sure he should have got the fine, goes to charity and its a tax writeoff for derrick anyways… i’ve heard others complain far more and not pay anything..

stern loves lebron, for some odd reason. personally i’d went with someone capable of carrying that load. like derrick. but forsome odd reason, stern is in love with him. but its funny watching how many times lebrons acting like he got fouled draws foul calls, and derrick gets airport checked, and doesnt get the foul call. only reason i put lebron here is because he gets so many of those fake calls. i havent seen anyone get more then a few of those other then lebron who gets one or two a game..

• gmsingh - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Stern clearly wants to prop up the Heat and have the Bulls fail because he feels they are the more marketable. The NBA is about the money, and actual fair play has gone out the window. Rose is great player and a great story, but Stern has to think the league will make more money with LeBron in the spotlight, and the refs are making play calls accordingly.

10. tilllman40 - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

@dirtbird2020 wow u are corny . When u can speak like an adult and actually make sense instead of lame jokes people will take u seriously . That has to be the stupidest comments I’ve ever read , u should be embarrased . How is ur moms basement by the way ?

11. shrek91874 - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM

who’s dirtbird2020? sorry but i can’t see his comment anywhere. just wondering.

12. mcjon22 - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:06 AM

That’s my Gummy Bear money, Man

Derrick Rose

13. getadealdonealready - Mar 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM

No what hurts the integrity of the league is officials getting caught doing illegal stuff.

14. monarch897 - Mar 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM

“Disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy alleged as much Tuesday in a filing made by his attorney in U.S. District Court in New York, saying the highly controversial Game 6 of the Lakers-Kings playoff series in 2002 was impacted by the actions of two of the three referees who worked the game.”

I watched that game and there is no doubt in my mind that it was fixed by the NBA and Stern was at the heart of it. I have no respect for officiating in this league but have to admit it is the hardest out of the major sports to call. Every call other then out of bounds is a judgment call so you’re bound to have problems.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches