Mar 12, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
Here’s a little different spin from the standard “the Magic aren’t going to trade Dwight Howard because they want to keep him” take:
The Magic couldn’t trade him if they wanted because Howard never gave up his power over the situation.
Here it is, from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
“The player holds all the cards,” said one person on the periphery of the Howard saga. “He’s killed (Orlando’s) market.” By making it clear that he’d only sign a long-term deal if traded to the Nets, Mavericks or Lakers, Howard has the leverage for now. The only way he loses is if the Magic send him to a team on a rental basis, thus cutting off Howard’s chance at getting a five-year deal as a free agent. Staying in Orlando is the only way Howard can get the fifth year under the new rules, and indications are that he’d like to hang onto that fallback option as long as possible. It’s up to the Magic whether they afford him that chance.
In the end, the Magic can move him if they want, but I still think they just don’t really want to. The fact Howard depressed the market just made that decision easier.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona