Mar 12, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Last Wednesday night T.J. Ford left the Spurs game with what was described as a “neck stinger,” the latest in a line of neck injuries the point guard has battled through in his career.
Those injuries were a lot more serious than had been let on — doctors had told him to stop playing and he had on a couple occasions had temporary paralysis due to his neck and spine issues.
So after seven seasons Ford has decided to walk away from the game at age 28 while he can still walk.
“After last Wednesday, I felt being on the floor and being in that position one too many times. I feel like that was enough for me… That was the last basketball game you’ll see me play. I played the last five years with doctor’s orders not to play. I still defeated the odds with this condition. It’s tough because I know I can still play. If I had to play today, I could play. The tests came back negative. I just felt mentally and physically, my body has taken enough.”
Ford has two children, ages six and four. Getting to run and play with them in 10 years matters a lot more than another basketball game.
It seems the smart move, the mature move. We wish Ford the very best in whatever he chooses to do next.
On a far less important note, look for the Spurs to maybe make a move to bring in a backup point guard, they now have nobody of real experience on the roster behind Tony Parker.
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 15
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 3
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13