Mar 12, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
Now we have an answer — bacterial infection. A pretty scary answer. He will be out two-to-four weeks recovering from it, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Lowry had been hospitalized in New York since Thursday. He underwent a laparoscopic examination after complaining of fever and abdominal distress. He is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital to return to Houston on Tuesday.
“It’s tough, it’s tough,” forward Chase Budinger said. “He’s definitely our leader and our go-to player on the team. Missing him for the next month or so is going to hurt us very much. The rest of us have to really step up because it’s a big hole to fill.”
It’s especially tough for a Rockets team that going into Monday night was the eight seed in the West, just one game up on the Timberwolves (who have their own point guard issues right now) with Portland, Phoenix and Utah all within two games. (Golden State is three back, if you want a dark horse.) Lowry gives the Rockets 15.9 points and 7.2 assists per game. With him out Goran Dragic starts and Jonny Flynn gets more minutes off the bench.
The bottom few spots in the West could be one of the most interesting races to watch as we round the clubhouse turn and head down the home stretch in the NBA.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17