Mar 12, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
Now we have an answer — bacterial infection. A pretty scary answer. He will be out two-to-four weeks recovering from it, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Lowry had been hospitalized in New York since Thursday. He underwent a laparoscopic examination after complaining of fever and abdominal distress. He is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital to return to Houston on Tuesday.
“It’s tough, it’s tough,” forward Chase Budinger said. “He’s definitely our leader and our go-to player on the team. Missing him for the next month or so is going to hurt us very much. The rest of us have to really step up because it’s a big hole to fill.”
It’s especially tough for a Rockets team that going into Monday night was the eight seed in the West, just one game up on the Timberwolves (who have their own point guard issues right now) with Portland, Phoenix and Utah all within two games. (Golden State is three back, if you want a dark horse.) Lowry gives the Rockets 15.9 points and 7.2 assists per game. With him out Goran Dragic starts and Jonny Flynn gets more minutes off the bench.
The bottom few spots in the West could be one of the most interesting races to watch as we round the clubhouse turn and head down the home stretch in the NBA.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73