Mar 12, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
Jamal Crawford and his up-tempo, shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later style has not meshed with the grind it out ways of Nate McMillan in Portland. It hasn’t been fun for him. What could possibly be worse.
On the other hand, he could land with everyone’s new favorite team the Clippers.
There are a few different reports out there. Let’s take them in the order Crawford would prefer they land.
Two questions here: 1) Does Crawford’s style, which has the ball in his hands a lot, really mesh with the Chris Paul-led Clippers? 2) If Crawford is just going to opt out at the end of the season as he has said, do the Clippers want to give up the promising Bledsoe for a rental? The answer to both those questions is… maybe. Depends on how desperate the Clippers are for help.
The other deal, reported by David Aldridge at NBA.com, has Crawford going to the Bobcats
So, now, according to a source, there’s a chance Crawford winds up with the Bobcats in a potential deal for guard D.J. Augustin. Augustin has played just fine this season, but he’s expendable now that Kemba Walker is there.
The Blazers are going to have to send something else out in this deal — a second round pick maybe, as they don’t have a first they can trade for a few years (they already traded away 2013 to Charlotte and can’t trade away firsts in consecutive years) — because this deal would actually be more expensive for the cost-conscious Bobcats.
This Augustin/Crawford trade might be the kind of deal where both sides are looking at other options — Portland is talking to Indiana as well — then at the last minute Wednesday or Thursday agree to terms and get it done. Just something to watch.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 10
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14