Mar 12, 2012, 3:56 PM EST
Jamal Crawford and his up-tempo, shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later style has not meshed with the grind it out ways of Nate McMillan in Portland. It hasn’t been fun for him. What could possibly be worse.
On the other hand, he could land with everyone’s new favorite team the Clippers.
There are a few different reports out there. Let’s take them in the order Crawford would prefer they land.
Two questions here: 1) Does Crawford’s style, which has the ball in his hands a lot, really mesh with the Chris Paul-led Clippers? 2) If Crawford is just going to opt out at the end of the season as he has said, do the Clippers want to give up the promising Bledsoe for a rental? The answer to both those questions is… maybe. Depends on how desperate the Clippers are for help.
The other deal, reported by David Aldridge at NBA.com, has Crawford going to the Bobcats
So, now, according to a source, there’s a chance Crawford winds up with the Bobcats in a potential deal for guard D.J. Augustin. Augustin has played just fine this season, but he’s expendable now that Kemba Walker is there.
The Blazers are going to have to send something else out in this deal — a second round pick maybe, as they don’t have a first they can trade for a few years (they already traded away 2013 to Charlotte and can’t trade away firsts in consecutive years) — because this deal would actually be more expensive for the cost-conscious Bobcats.
This Augustin/Crawford trade might be the kind of deal where both sides are looking at other options — Portland is talking to Indiana as well — then at the last minute Wednesday or Thursday agree to terms and get it done. Just something to watch.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)