Mar 12, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
Jamal Crawford and his up-tempo, shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later style has not meshed with the grind it out ways of Nate McMillan in Portland. It hasn’t been fun for him. What could possibly be worse.
On the other hand, he could land with everyone’s new favorite team the Clippers.
There are a few different reports out there. Let’s take them in the order Crawford would prefer they land.
Two questions here: 1) Does Crawford’s style, which has the ball in his hands a lot, really mesh with the Chris Paul-led Clippers? 2) If Crawford is just going to opt out at the end of the season as he has said, do the Clippers want to give up the promising Bledsoe for a rental? The answer to both those questions is… maybe. Depends on how desperate the Clippers are for help.
The other deal, reported by David Aldridge at NBA.com, has Crawford going to the Bobcats
So, now, according to a source, there’s a chance Crawford winds up with the Bobcats in a potential deal for guard D.J. Augustin. Augustin has played just fine this season, but he’s expendable now that Kemba Walker is there.
The Blazers are going to have to send something else out in this deal — a second round pick maybe, as they don’t have a first they can trade for a few years (they already traded away 2013 to Charlotte and can’t trade away firsts in consecutive years) — because this deal would actually be more expensive for the cost-conscious Bobcats.
This Augustin/Crawford trade might be the kind of deal where both sides are looking at other options — Portland is talking to Indiana as well — then at the last minute Wednesday or Thursday agree to terms and get it done. Just something to watch.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4