Mar 12, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
I am starting this post off with a disclaimer: Take this actual report with a grain of salt. It is a long, long way from reality. I bring you this more as a way of discussing the mindset in Orlando.
The Magic, Warriors and Hornets are in discussions on a three-team trade, two league sources confirmed. Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Dorell Wright would be sent by the Warriors to the Magic. Ryan Anderson, J.J. Redick, Hedo Turkoglu and Quentin Richardson would be the main outgoing pieces from Orlando.
The Hornets’ exact involvement is unclear, but believed to be centered around Chris Kaman.
The Warriors have been desperate for a big man in the middle, so my guess is they would get Kaman and some of those other parts — or players not mentioned — would wind up in New Orleans.
The point here is this: Orlando is all about bringing in players to keep Dwight Howard happy and in town, not shipping him out. Since All-Star Weekend the news out of the Magic camp has been pretty consistent that they do not intend to move Howard. If some team gets desperate and makes a wild offer, maybe. Or maybe owner Rich DeVos wakes up Thursday and changes his mind and wants to see a deal done. But that’s not likely.
This report just shows that they are trying to bring in bigger names. Now, we can have another discussion about whether that deal would actually make the Magic that much better. It would give them a guy who can create and score on the perimeter, however.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 3
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18