Mar 12, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
I am starting this post off with a disclaimer: Take this actual report with a grain of salt. It is a long, long way from reality. I bring you this more as a way of discussing the mindset in Orlando.
The Magic, Warriors and Hornets are in discussions on a three-team trade, two league sources confirmed. Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Dorell Wright would be sent by the Warriors to the Magic. Ryan Anderson, J.J. Redick, Hedo Turkoglu and Quentin Richardson would be the main outgoing pieces from Orlando.
The Hornets’ exact involvement is unclear, but believed to be centered around Chris Kaman.
The Warriors have been desperate for a big man in the middle, so my guess is they would get Kaman and some of those other parts — or players not mentioned — would wind up in New Orleans.
The point here is this: Orlando is all about bringing in players to keep Dwight Howard happy and in town, not shipping him out. Since All-Star Weekend the news out of the Magic camp has been pretty consistent that they do not intend to move Howard. If some team gets desperate and makes a wild offer, maybe. Or maybe owner Rich DeVos wakes up Thursday and changes his mind and wants to see a deal done. But that’s not likely.
This report just shows that they are trying to bring in bigger names. Now, we can have another discussion about whether that deal would actually make the Magic that much better. It would give them a guy who can create and score on the perimeter, however.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30