Mar 12, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
Heading into the Bulls game against the Knicks Monday night — good luck New York getting your struggling offense going against the Bulls defense — J.J. Stankevitz at CSNChicago.com had a little fun digging through the past of Iman Shumpert.
Shumpert comes out of Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, and so Stankevitz went and talked to his old high school coach.
Shumpert came up to the varsity team at Oak Park-River Forest High School as a freshman point guard — then grew more than six inches before his sophomore season. That’s a tough adjustment physically.
“You know those Dobermans, those big dogs that have the huge feet and big paws and big ears, but they’re so clumsy they can’t even hardly walk across the street?” Allen asked rhetorically. “He was starting to get that way.”
Shumpert also out-grew his muscles, to the point where Allen said he was “weak as a kitten.”
Shumpert eventually grew into his body and has grown into becoming a productive NBA player who is athletic and can defend well. Go read the whole story, it’s interesting.
But every time I see Shumpert from now on, I’m thinking Dobermans and kittens.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15