Mar 12, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
Heading into the Bulls game against the Knicks Monday night — good luck New York getting your struggling offense going against the Bulls defense — J.J. Stankevitz at CSNChicago.com had a little fun digging through the past of Iman Shumpert.
Shumpert comes out of Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, and so Stankevitz went and talked to his old high school coach.
Shumpert came up to the varsity team at Oak Park-River Forest High School as a freshman point guard — then grew more than six inches before his sophomore season. That’s a tough adjustment physically.
“You know those Dobermans, those big dogs that have the huge feet and big paws and big ears, but they’re so clumsy they can’t even hardly walk across the street?” Allen asked rhetorically. “He was starting to get that way.”
Shumpert also out-grew his muscles, to the point where Allen said he was “weak as a kitten.”
Shumpert eventually grew into his body and has grown into becoming a productive NBA player who is athletic and can defend well. Go read the whole story, it’s interesting.
But every time I see Shumpert from now on, I’m thinking Dobermans and kittens.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 37
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89