Mar 12, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
Heading into the Bulls game against the Knicks Monday night — good luck New York getting your struggling offense going against the Bulls defense — J.J. Stankevitz at CSNChicago.com had a little fun digging through the past of Iman Shumpert.
Shumpert comes out of Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, and so Stankevitz went and talked to his old high school coach.
Shumpert came up to the varsity team at Oak Park-River Forest High School as a freshman point guard — then grew more than six inches before his sophomore season. That’s a tough adjustment physically.
“You know those Dobermans, those big dogs that have the huge feet and big paws and big ears, but they’re so clumsy they can’t even hardly walk across the street?” Allen asked rhetorically. “He was starting to get that way.”
Shumpert also out-grew his muscles, to the point where Allen said he was “weak as a kitten.”
Shumpert eventually grew into his body and has grown into becoming a productive NBA player who is athletic and can defend well. Go read the whole story, it’s interesting.
But every time I see Shumpert from now on, I’m thinking Dobermans and kittens.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'