Mar 12, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
When somebody asks you how your boss is doing, what exactly are you going to say?
True or not there is only one answer and it’s the one Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak gave it when he sat down with the Los Angeles Times for a lengthy interview.
Jim Buss has become the guy Lakers fans like to blame for shaking up a contending team (which may have some validity). Kupchak’s point: Jim Buss is not new in the Lakers front office. He has been helping the team make decisions for years.
“Jim gets way too much criticism and not enough credit with the success this team has had,” Kupchak said. . “He is following in the footsteps of the most successful owner maybe of all time, which is hard to do. But since he’s gotten more and more involved, which has been about seven or eight years, we’ve had some pretty good moments.”
Buss was responsible for the Lakers’ ill-fated hiring of Coach Rudy Tomjanovich in 2004, but he also helped nudge the team into drafting Andrew Bynum in 2005. It’s too early to tell the results of Buss’ latest decision, hiring Mike Brown to succeed Phil Jackson, even though Kupchak and Jerry Buss claimed they also agreed with it.
There have been whispers (from good sources) that Kupchak is unhappy with his current working situation and may bolt for another team at the start of the year.
Maybe and maybe not, but Kupchak has always been about loyalty to the Lakers and the Buss family. He is the ultimate company man who would not step out of line and badmouth the team or organization in public. Not his style — he is old school that way. Which is a good thing.
But knowing that, what did you expect him to say about his boss?
As for Jim Buss, he will ultimately be judged against his father’s legacy, which may be unfair but is the reality.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8