Mar 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Pau Gasol and Rajon Rondo have both traveled a similar path this season. Both were offered up in a trade for Chris Paul, and when that didn’t work out they became the names fans of the Lakers and Celtics talked about shopping. For their part, both teams said they wanted to keep the guy publically, but on the market told teams they would move him for an elite star.
Then there were the Rondo for Gasol rumors. Those came up again and the two teams talked last week and killed the idea, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers are unwilling to trade Pau Gasol for Rondo, making a deal with Boston unlikely before the trade deadline Thursday.
“Unless they give up Gasol, they’re not going to get a top-level point guard,” said a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to discuss it publicly.
Take note, that is clearly from a Los Angeles source. Talk to a Celtics source and you would get that they were not going to trade Rondo in that scenario. (Remember that principle this week — all rumor leaks are spin, so figure out who gains from it when you hear it.)
The Lakers may be slow to part with Gasol to make a major overhaul (unless ownership in Orlando changes its mind about Dwight Howard), but expect them to move one of their two first round picks for someone.
That someone could be Michael Beasley, reports the Times. He can provide scoring punch and is an expiring contract.
A more likely scenario is the Lakers giving up one of their picks — their own and Dallas’ first rounder, part of the Lamar Odom trade (think Dallas would like that pick back now?) — for a point guard. If I were a betting man I’d guess Ramon Sessions out of Cleveland, but a number of other guys like Detroit’s Will Bynum can be had for less if the Lakers want to hold on to those first rounders.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43