Mar 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Pau Gasol and Rajon Rondo have both traveled a similar path this season. Both were offered up in a trade for Chris Paul, and when that didn’t work out they became the names fans of the Lakers and Celtics talked about shopping. For their part, both teams said they wanted to keep the guy publically, but on the market told teams they would move him for an elite star.
Then there were the Rondo for Gasol rumors. Those came up again and the two teams talked last week and killed the idea, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers are unwilling to trade Pau Gasol for Rondo, making a deal with Boston unlikely before the trade deadline Thursday.
“Unless they give up Gasol, they’re not going to get a top-level point guard,” said a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to discuss it publicly.
Take note, that is clearly from a Los Angeles source. Talk to a Celtics source and you would get that they were not going to trade Rondo in that scenario. (Remember that principle this week — all rumor leaks are spin, so figure out who gains from it when you hear it.)
The Lakers may be slow to part with Gasol to make a major overhaul (unless ownership in Orlando changes its mind about Dwight Howard), but expect them to move one of their two first round picks for someone.
That someone could be Michael Beasley, reports the Times. He can provide scoring punch and is an expiring contract.
A more likely scenario is the Lakers giving up one of their picks — their own and Dallas’ first rounder, part of the Lamar Odom trade (think Dallas would like that pick back now?) — for a point guard. If I were a betting man I’d guess Ramon Sessions out of Cleveland, but a number of other guys like Detroit’s Will Bynum can be had for less if the Lakers want to hold on to those first rounders.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31