Mar 11, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
In a game that, to be honest, wasn’t very well played, the Lakers pulled out another win over the Boston Celtics 97-4 in what is likely the end to the Big 3 vs. Big 3 matchup over the past four years (though Bynum was not a part of it for the first two years). It was sloppy, both teams looked old, both teams looked sloppy. The Celtics looked unable to execute because of talent. The Lakers kept getting in their way. But it still felt big, still felt epic, still felt like the kind of game that defines the greatness of both teams. As long as you don’t actually like good basketball.
Somehow, some way the Celtics found their way into the lead. Key plays by Rajon Rondo kept them afloat and killer threes from Ray Allen (how do you leave him open?) made it a one-point Celtics lead down the stretch.
And that’s when Kobe Bryant, with all that clutch discussion, came walking in.
OK, needed some iron, there. But the point is it fell. And everyone who likes to talk about metrics, and advanced clutch numbers and all that, only need watch this play to know what Bryant’s clutch legacy is. You don’t need all those misses. Just watch this one game and let that decide your argument. Watch the game, people.
We’ll have more on this game in a bit, including Bryant turning to Andrew Bynum to put the finishing touches on it, maybe a foretelling of the Lakers’ future to come, in a bit. For now, Black Mamba is the man.
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 0
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 8
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)