Ricky Rubio suffers torn ACL

Mar 10, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Ricky Rubio shoots a free throw during their NBA game against Los Angeles Clippers Reuters

Both Chris Mannix of SI.com and Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune report that Ricky Rubio suffered a torn ACL as previously indicated by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski during the Wolves’ loss to the Lakers last night.

Well, hell.

The news is devastating for the Timberwolves and basketball fans, as Rubio’s play had electrified the league and been a genuine highlight of the season With Rubio, the Wolves had managed to pull themselves into the playoffs and were a dangerous team going forward. Now they’ll have to go forward with a team missing one of its two best players. The door’s not closed, but it gets much tougher from here on out.

Beyond that though, is a young man who was brave enough to make the jump, to face all the expectations and still perform brilliantly. He had established himself as a star in this league, and his season is cut short. It’s one of those things that happens, and it’s hard to prevent, impossible to predict. It doesn’t leave you any less sad for the result.

It’s just one of those really, truly unfortunate things. Get better soon, rook.

1. ricky9984 - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Did anyone here in MN expect any different news? It’s just our luck, or lack there of….

2. tk41 - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM

This sucks. T’Wolves have been an electric team to watch on League Pass all year. This puts a ton of weight on Luke R, Love & Pekovic. Wes Johnson needs to step up & justify his draft status if they’re going to be a playoff team.

Get well soon, Ricky.

3. illogic87 - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

:'(

4. redbullenergydrink - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM

* Sigh *

5. zaktmt - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Makes me hate Kobe even more.

6. bearsstillsuck - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Yep, I blame it all on Kobe too; him and his stupid mask.

7. mnsportsrube - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

as if we didnt already have enough reason to hate the Fakers..

8. pudgalvin - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Blah, bummer. You can usually deal with it in football, but acl’s aren’t supposed to happen in basketball. That sucks.

9. jimnsota - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

MN sports Woo Hoo!!

10. noirad - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Excuse me, I’m about to cry. :(

11. raidmagic - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM

That sucks I enjoyed watching him play.

12. greatminnesotasportsmind - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, there goes the playoffs.

13. freemantowilliams - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Very disappointing. I hope he can return to form after this injury. He’s got a chance to be a HOF point guard.

14. hawknuts - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

now where is all the johnny flynn hate? just kidding

but they are going to be a fraction of what they were last week with ridnour running the show. Love has been a stud this year and his job just got 10x harder.

15. lakerluver - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hope he comes back better than ever.

16. seanb20124 - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Get well

17. trinatek - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Adrian Peterson, now this? :( It hurts so bad!!

18. phx1311 - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

i saw the replay on sports center and thought he would be fine but wow…..get better rook!!!

19. rgledz - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I can honestly say that I haven’t given two $hits about the Wolves since 2005, but this year has brought me back in. I feel horrible for the kid and for the team. It’s actually a really fun team to watch…..I’ll still watch, but it sucks to have this hanging over everything. Ricky should be good to go after the surgery, his skill set won’t be too affected by this. He’s not a speed guy so get well soon Ricky, I hope you’re in a Wolves uniform for a very long time.

• brianspider - Mar 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Maybe this is Karma for being a fair weather fan. It was YOU that did this to Ricky!!

20. lunasceiling - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Aw, no… The ‘Wolves aren’t my main team (that would be the Suns…*sigh*), but I’ve really enjoyed watching them turn into a genuinely dangerous team. I’ve also enjoyed watching Rubio at what I’m certain could be the beginning of a HoF career. I realize he’s not a “true” rookie (since he started so young and played several seasons in what is probably the world’s second best pro league), but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a first year player with this kind of potential. Heal fast and come back better than ever!

21. tomshoe - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

If you listen closely, you can hear the Wolves’ playoff hopes deflating.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Mar 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Or is that the Metrodome…

22. thegrey7 - Mar 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Life as Timberwolves fan:

Wait two years for Rubio to join the team. He finally arrives, turns out better then expected, helps turn around the team, and gets everyone excited about the Wolves for the first time in ages.

Then the Lakers come to Target Center. Wolves dominate them in the first half, and look ready to end their 16 game losing streak to them. In the last few seconds of the game Kobe runs over Rubio. Rubio is rolling around on the court in pain while the refs call a foul on him. Kobe sinks his free throws to give the Lakers the win. Rubio is out the next 9 months with a torn ACL.

Sigh… get well soon Ricky!

• derekd81 - Mar 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Rubio made a dumb play at a crucial time in the game. Sucks that he got hurt yes, but by no means a bad call. And I am a Kobe hater

23. getadealdonealready - Mar 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This sucks, get well soon kid!

I blame it on the stupid muskie uniforms, nothing good happens when they wear them!

24. hoopshort - Mar 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Big Loss, have to admit, I was wrong with my preseason prediction of how RR would do in the NBA. Not the quickest by any means but knows how to play the angles, great court vision. Will be even more effective once his teammates learn how to play with him. Wolves are heading in the right direction. MUST keep Love though to progress to the next level, he’s not the high-flying act of a Blake Griffin but on the other side of the coin, has a few talents that Blake wishes he had. Gotta keep Kevin at all costs.

25. gmen4life33 - Mar 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Ahh-wooooooo…..thats my wolf howl :(

Wolves arent my team, but loved watching Rubio play. Been watching his highlight and trying to do his tricks (Rubio highlights on youtube prior to NBA are awesome) since seeing him play in Olympics. Get well Ricky.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches