Mar 10, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
Both Chris Mannix of SI.com and Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune report that Ricky Rubio suffered a torn ACL as previously indicated by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski during the Wolves’ loss to the Lakers last night.
The news is devastating for the Timberwolves and basketball fans, as Rubio’s play had electrified the league and been a genuine highlight of the season With Rubio, the Wolves had managed to pull themselves into the playoffs and were a dangerous team going forward. Now they’ll have to go forward with a team missing one of its two best players. The door’s not closed, but it gets much tougher from here on out.
Beyond that though, is a young man who was brave enough to make the jump, to face all the expectations and still perform brilliantly. He had established himself as a star in this league, and his season is cut short. It’s one of those things that happens, and it’s hard to prevent, impossible to predict. It doesn’t leave you any less sad for the result.
It’s just one of those really, truly unfortunate things. Get better soon, rook.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 4
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13