Mar 10, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Both Chris Mannix of SI.com and Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune report that Ricky Rubio suffered a torn ACL as previously indicated by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski during the Wolves’ loss to the Lakers last night.
The news is devastating for the Timberwolves and basketball fans, as Rubio’s play had electrified the league and been a genuine highlight of the season With Rubio, the Wolves had managed to pull themselves into the playoffs and were a dangerous team going forward. Now they’ll have to go forward with a team missing one of its two best players. The door’s not closed, but it gets much tougher from here on out.
Beyond that though, is a young man who was brave enough to make the jump, to face all the expectations and still perform brilliantly. He had established himself as a star in this league, and his season is cut short. It’s one of those things that happens, and it’s hard to prevent, impossible to predict. It doesn’t leave you any less sad for the result.
It’s just one of those really, truly unfortunate things. Get better soon, rook.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36