Mar 10, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Both Chris Mannix of SI.com and Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune report that Ricky Rubio suffered a torn ACL as previously indicated by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski during the Wolves’ loss to the Lakers last night.
The news is devastating for the Timberwolves and basketball fans, as Rubio’s play had electrified the league and been a genuine highlight of the season With Rubio, the Wolves had managed to pull themselves into the playoffs and were a dangerous team going forward. Now they’ll have to go forward with a team missing one of its two best players. The door’s not closed, but it gets much tougher from here on out.
Beyond that though, is a young man who was brave enough to make the jump, to face all the expectations and still perform brilliantly. He had established himself as a star in this league, and his season is cut short. It’s one of those things that happens, and it’s hard to prevent, impossible to predict. It doesn’t leave you any less sad for the result.
It’s just one of those really, truly unfortunate things. Get better soon, rook.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24