Mar 10, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
That the Wizards are terrible should not surprise you. A terrible team looking to change its personnel should not surprise you. But when any team declares itself completely open for business outside of one player, yeah, that’s worth at least a look. From the Washington Post’s Michael Lee:
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) March 10, 2012
So as bad as the Wizards are, there are players worth pursuing. JaVale McGee can be a blockhead, but he’s also an extremely talented athletic center with upside. Chris Singleton is a gifted wing defender. Jan Vesely is raw but shows a world of potential to make an impact all over the floor. Nick Young is a sharpshooter. And Trevor Booker is an extremely underrated big man who attacks the ball like a bulldog.
It’s good that the Wizards recognize the problem that Andray Blatche gives them considering his contract, and that they’re open for business. They’re not pursuing trades for everyone, they’re just making it known. Even if they take a loss on a deal, who cares? They need to clean house, by any means available, and being willing to take on a little blood loss to do so is worth it. They can’t squander John Wall’s career any more.
The Wizards do have to be careful, though. Moving Blatche and taking on more long-term contracts (for say, Stephen Jackson) only digs them a different kind of hole. Moving Blatche for nothing is fine. Moving Blatche for something worse is unacceptable.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte