Mar 10, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
J.R Smith can get in trouble anywhere, not just China.
Thursday J.R. Smith tweeted a picture of a scantily clad woman — model Tahiry Jose in a thong, with Smith commenting on the view of her backside — from his hotel room in Milwaukee. He took it down not long after, but that’s just not now the Internet works — once it’s out there it is out there and this photo and discussion showed up everywhere including Deadspin. Controversy ensued.
Saturday, the NBA VP Stu Jackson announced the league fined Smith $25,000 for posting “inappropriate pictures” on his twitter account.
Friday night Smith admitted posting the photo was not his smartest move ever.
“I didn’t know it was going to be as big deal as it is now,” Smith said after the Knicks’ loss at Milwaukee on Friday. “I definitely regret it. It takes away from our team. Anytime I do anything that takes away from our team, I’m definitely going to regret it.”
Now it’s also taking away from his wallet.
Smith signed to play in China during the lockout but incurred an estimated $1 million in fines with his team there (he made $3 million). Upon his return he signed with the Knicks, and while the transition has not been perfect he’s a long way from reaching the same level of fines he did in China. But this is a start.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13