Mar 10, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
J.R Smith can get in trouble anywhere, not just China.
Thursday J.R. Smith tweeted a picture of a scantily clad woman — model Tahiry Jose in a thong, with Smith commenting on the view of her backside — from his hotel room in Milwaukee. He took it down not long after, but that’s just not now the Internet works — once it’s out there it is out there and this photo and discussion showed up everywhere including Deadspin. Controversy ensued.
Saturday, the NBA VP Stu Jackson announced the league fined Smith $25,000 for posting “inappropriate pictures” on his twitter account.
Friday night Smith admitted posting the photo was not his smartest move ever.
“I didn’t know it was going to be as big deal as it is now,” Smith said after the Knicks’ loss at Milwaukee on Friday. “I definitely regret it. It takes away from our team. Anytime I do anything that takes away from our team, I’m definitely going to regret it.”
Now it’s also taking away from his wallet.
Smith signed to play in China during the lockout but incurred an estimated $1 million in fines with his team there (he made $3 million). Upon his return he signed with the Knicks, and while the transition has not been perfect he’s a long way from reaching the same level of fines he did in China. But this is a start.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29