Mar 10, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Less than a day after a loss to the Suns on national television in which he was angry over being benched late, Jason Terry was outspoken again Friday night. This time he didn’t mince words about the state of the Mavericks after a loss to the Kings. I say again, the Kings.
(A game, I might add, in which league pass viewers were treated to the dulcet tones of one Mr. Bill Walton who was in rare form. It was an exquisite foray into the truest joyful understanding of the game of basketball.)
From ESPN Dallas:
Jason Terry: “It’s time for a change…” “…We’re not a team right now.”
— Jeff Caplan (@ESPN_Caplan) March 10, 2012
Terry may be in his final season with the Mavericks. There’s every indication the team is moving forward towards another direction, and this could be Terry’s last chance at a title for the team he’s given his soul to. And right now, they’re utterly lost in the woods. Their chemistry is off, inside the locker room and out, their ball movement is suspect, they can’t contain on the perimeter, they struggle with controlling the glass and Dirk’s not hitting at his usual absurd percentage.
The Mavericks aren’t going to make a firesale because of a losing streak. If they didn’t write this year off they certainly placed asterisks next to their expectations. But Terry’s comments make it clear the situation has gone downhill. The Mavericks are in a dangerous place, and all that experience they’ve invested in has to step up and steady the ship before it capsizes.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30