Mar 10, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Team is stingy and non-committal with information regarding updates on player’s return from injury. Fans get anxious, rail on writer for not providing updates on player they are interested in regarding return from injury. Writer responds by asking team about player’s return from injury. Team is stingy and non-committal with information regarding updates on player’s return from injury. Fans and team both rail on writers for trying to rush back player or not understanding complexity of the situation. Boo-hoo. But it’s still kind of funny.
Dwane Casey isn’t railing on anyone but he is being stingy and non-committal when it comes to information regarding Andrea Bargnani‘s potential return from his calf injury this weekend. From the Toronto Star:
The Raptors beat Houston on Wednesday and might get Bargnani back for Saturday’s tilt against Detroit.Or maybe not. Head coach Dwane Casey was noncommittal whether the big man would return on Saturday, Sunday at home against Milwaukee, or “it might even be Tuesday of next week in Cleveland,” Casey said.“I’m not going to put a day on it. He did everything in practice for the second day in a row on Friday, so we’ll see how he feels tomorrow.”
You can’t blame Casey here, at all. There’s just no reason to rush him back and see him go down immediately like last time. The Raptors aren’t playing for anything, are going to wind up with a great draft pick to add to a surprisingly good team that’s going to have cap space and adding Jonas Valanciunas, and need Bargnani long-term. That may be the most stunning realization this season of all for the Raptors. His long-term contract is a blessing, not a hindrance. Casey has transformed him at least partially into the players the Raptors and their fans want him to be. Casey’s team is ready to compete every night, has some young talent, and has come a long way. The wins and losses are irrelevant, and as such so is Bargnani’s return date. They’ll get him back, ease him back in, and be set to make a jump next year.
Just don’t get irritated when there’s no news or news about no news. That’s the story. The story is a maybe. It writes itself.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32