Mar 10, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Team is stingy and non-committal with information regarding updates on player’s return from injury. Fans get anxious, rail on writer for not providing updates on player they are interested in regarding return from injury. Writer responds by asking team about player’s return from injury. Team is stingy and non-committal with information regarding updates on player’s return from injury. Fans and team both rail on writers for trying to rush back player or not understanding complexity of the situation. Boo-hoo. But it’s still kind of funny.
Dwane Casey isn’t railing on anyone but he is being stingy and non-committal when it comes to information regarding Andrea Bargnani‘s potential return from his calf injury this weekend. From the Toronto Star:
The Raptors beat Houston on Wednesday and might get Bargnani back for Saturday’s tilt against Detroit.Or maybe not. Head coach Dwane Casey was noncommittal whether the big man would return on Saturday, Sunday at home against Milwaukee, or “it might even be Tuesday of next week in Cleveland,” Casey said.“I’m not going to put a day on it. He did everything in practice for the second day in a row on Friday, so we’ll see how he feels tomorrow.”
You can’t blame Casey here, at all. There’s just no reason to rush him back and see him go down immediately like last time. The Raptors aren’t playing for anything, are going to wind up with a great draft pick to add to a surprisingly good team that’s going to have cap space and adding Jonas Valanciunas, and need Bargnani long-term. That may be the most stunning realization this season of all for the Raptors. His long-term contract is a blessing, not a hindrance. Casey has transformed him at least partially into the players the Raptors and their fans want him to be. Casey’s team is ready to compete every night, has some young talent, and has come a long way. The wins and losses are irrelevant, and as such so is Bargnani’s return date. They’ll get him back, ease him back in, and be set to make a jump next year.
Just don’t get irritated when there’s no news or news about no news. That’s the story. The story is a maybe. It writes itself.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 8
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)