Mar 9, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
We all keep waiting for some kind of definitive decision from the Orlando Magic — are they going to keep or trade Dwight Howard?
Maybe the reason we don’t have that answer is that the Magic are still divided on what they want to do, or what kind of trade package they want back.
That’s what Sam Amick says over at Sports Illustrated, in a story that makes sense in fitting a lot of the conflicting pieces together.
While Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri was the clear point man in the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes last season, Magic general manager Otis Smith has not been afforded the same luxury. Owner Rich DeVos and new CEO Alex Martins are playing significant roles as well, and it has been clear throughout the process that their views differ from Smith’s when it comes to the price tag for Howard or the priorities in a trade package.
Or even if they want to move him — Smith seems to have accepted the reality that Howard is gone no matter what, but Martins and DeVos are working hard to keep him.
Amick points to the Nets offer — Smith has been pretty clear he doesn’t love Brook Lopez at the heart of a package, but Lopez is still in the mix because others in the organization like him.
Looking at all the reports about Howard through this prism makes everything make a little more sense.
Owners tend to win these battles — they own the team after all. If DeVos wants to try and keep Howard, they will not move him. I still think that is the most likely scenario.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61